Death Note movie

Want to talk about manga? Well now we have a place to do that!

Postby Luinta » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:12 pm

I can't decide! I like Kira's ideals. but disagree with the methods used to achieve them.

On the other hand, I love L's mind. The way things are grasped and places together, and that he'd be willing to test the notebook to assure it's power, and further the damning evidence against Light. But then again, I can't support the slaughter of anyone, but in L's place I pull a repeat of the Lind L Taylor experiment. Find a criminal sentenced to die at such an hour and have another inmate, sentenced to die 13 days later, use the Death Note to kill the first one. This would test the death note without really killing people, seeing as they were already sentenced to death. The only change is that rather than lethal injection or the chair, they were put to death by the note.
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

Postby Endless » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:37 pm

pettruchio wrote:Thats a difficult one for me....L was seriously creepy....but I like creepy....so L was interesting to me. However I have always liked the bad guys and though I can see how Kira thinks he is doing justice....he is still murdering so he is still a "bad guy"....so its difficult to decide which one I like more....as for cosplay...well I don't see myself cosplaying DN. When I get a chance to cosplay I tend to like the more intricate costumes.

It is difficult to pick a side because both sides have valid points.
I was telling my friend about this thread and we ended up having ( yet another ) in depth discussion about DN and the different sides of L and Light and stuff . . .lol. So after about 20 minutes of being distracted I am going to post this now. . .haha.

Postby pettruchio » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:06 pm

I have to admit L and Kira's battle of skills and wills is what drew me into DN in the first place. The intellectual sparring between the two was refreshing without the use of big swords or long winded techniques. That is why I also liked Spiral so much. (Although I am looking forward to reading the manga on that one as the anime left a lot of questions unanswered).

The one thing I found disappointing for DN is that I never learned L's real name. That really annoyed me.....it was the one thing Kira was desperate for which is why I said in an earlier post that scene was rather anticlimatic....

We learned Near's name and Mello's but never L's......
"Here's another curse for you: May all your bacon burn." ~ Calcifer

Postby Endless » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:38 pm

I also am frustrated how we don't learn L's name. I haven't gotten to the end of the manga yet. . .I have 1 1/2 more volumes left. I thought that I would learn it at the end of the manga. . .since everyone seems to know it. :: scratches head :: That is strange. In the movie they show it, but in Japanese, and I can't read it and the subbers didn't translate it. =/ hmm. . .

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:46 pm

I wrote it down to show Yukari at the con, but in the rush of everything I forgot. And now I can't find the stickynote. :/
Stacey
Convention Sales Manager
Bakuretsu High Cheerleader

Postby Xailyn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09 am

L's real name is Lawliet. I don't know his last name though...

I have to giggle that the word 'lawl' is in his name. Screw the word 'law' being in there, the word 'lawl' is SO much funnier.
Bakuretsuecon 07: SakuBo, Zexion, and Teru Mikami...And a last minute Mello...

Because All Cons Need a little Mello

Postby Luinta » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:50 am

Actually LAST name is Lawliet. His first name does start with an L though.

I like the fact that the name never was revield. It helps to add to the whole mystique of L's character.
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

Postby Xailyn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:15 am

You sure about that? Because all my sources say that Lawliet is his first name.

Postby Luinta » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:27 am

I'm pretty sure... I think... Yeah, I'll go with C, final answer!

Postby Xailyn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:53 am

...Waaaaait...

The only way you coulda known L's name was if you were at Wammy's...

Or if you had those Shinigami eyes!!

J'ACCUSE!

(Oh noz, the battle begins again!)

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:02 am

I know a source says it's Lawliet, but the Japanese characters were all hirigana and kanji, no katakana, so unless whatever is written is wrong, then I don't think it is. From what I remember. XD So don't take my word as absolute. If someone could get me a screen shot of it, I could write it down again and ask my Japanese professor...
Stacey
Convention Sales Manager
Bakuretsu High Cheerleader

Postby Luinta » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:29 pm

How can you accuse ME!? I just said that I would NEVER kill people even if it WAS to create a perfect world where only the good and kind lived and peace would reign forever and ever, amen.

priase Kira,

Postby pettruchio » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Where did you all come up with Lawliett? Was that what was translated from the movie? I haven't watched the second part yet...It wasn't int he manga as far as I know. However I did finish the manga online using scanlations so I can't really say for sure....
"Here's another curse for you: May all your bacon burn." ~ Calcifer

Postby Xailyn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:29 pm

Hmm, I cant remember if it was youtube, deviantArt of Wikipedia that gave me that. ^^;

Postby Endless » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:41 am

XxShugoTenshixX wrote:I know a source says it's Lawliet, but the Japanese characters were all hirigana and kanji, no katakana, so unless whatever is written is wrong, then I don't think it is. From what I remember. XD So don't take my word as absolute. If someone could get me a screen shot of it, I could write it down again and ask my Japanese professor...

I just searched through the movie. Here is the screenshot I am pretty sure. . .screenshot

PreviousNext

Return to Manga