Death Note movie

Want to talk about manga? Well now we have a place to do that!

Death Note movie

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:21 am

Anyone else seen it? I just finished watching it with some friends and I was blown away. I've read the first few manga and thought it was neat, if a little dark, and I get that the movie doesn't follow the manga to a T (especially at the end) but I still really liked it. Also, I now know more about DN, so yay!

Postby Luinta » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:11 pm

Compared to the Manga/Anime, the movie SUCKED!!! If changed WAY more that anything that could have saved it!

My sugestion is to forget you eve4r saw the movie, and go read the manga. Then watch the Anime. OH! The Anime is playing on Adult Swim right now! It's on at Midnight on Saturday nights on Cartoon Network! Tonight their playing EP3 so you haven't missed very much at all! Go enjoy! ;p
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

Postby bedhead » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:03 pm

I really want to see it !!!!
"It was a joke...."

Postby pettruchio » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Heh....I was going to start a thread about this. I haven't seen the movie or the anime but out of sheer boredom (and because I wanted to be able to understand the hordes of DN cosplays) I decided to start reading the manga last night. I am totally sucked into it. (Thank God they have it in the ASV library cause otherwise I would be completely broke right now).

Anyway yeah I agree the story is rather dark and its weird I can't decide who I like better, Raito or L but I am in the middle of Volume 4 right now and I can't seem to put it down. I am still not sure if I want to see the anime as the story is rather dark and L is the creepiest looking thing there is (he kinda reminds me of that kid from the Grudge.) but I will be continuing the manga until I run out. ASV only has up to Vol 10. Heh...don't worry it will be in the manga library for the con. I have a feeling I will finish it in a few days or less.
"Here's another curse for you: May all your bacon burn." ~ Calcifer

Postby Luinta » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:47 pm

You can always go to Anime-Eden.com for EVERY Death Note! Then again, the Border Bookstore downtown Burlington doesn't mind people coming in and just reading the manga. I only own 1-7, but I've read them all

I saw the movie after finishing the manga and anime. the anime ROCKS!!! The anime music ROCKS!!! the anime BGM ROCKS!!! And I did see the movie, and let me tell you... IT SUCKED!!! It was worse to Death Note Manga/anime than Kingdom Hearts was to Sephiroth by giving him the voice of Lance Bass!

Trust me! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT expect anything short of disappointment from the live-action movie. theonly person who looks or even ACTS right is L! They turned light into a "cool kid" who was introduce by taking money from people by betting on his basketball skills! He has a girlfriend that he never had in the Manga/Anime, and Naomi Misora ( Raye Penbar's fiancee) takes said GF hostage at one point!

Bottom line:
This, movie is as much like the manga/anime, as Kingdom Hearts FF Characters! Yes I feel like bashing KH right now, but it also makes a clear point of just HOW they warped the DN world in the movie. That, and the made Ryuk act like a crackhead even before he got a taste of human apples!

Again, i can't express just HOW MUCH I hate this movie.

Thank you, that is all.
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

Postby pettruchio » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:58 pm

My goodness....I guess you didn't like the movie. I have never seen a live action version of any anime....I have heard that they always suck (although I think i would love bashing....ummm watching the Sailor Moon one).

Well I guess I will stay away from the movie although I have to hang my head at the rejection of what is probably my favorite video game of all time....wait this seems like de ja vu......don't you hate all the ones I like in the first place? Yeah I loved KH. And KH2.....I really did. I loved everything about them....except maybe the gummi ships. They made my thumbs hurt. But I digress....DN I am definitely going to continue the manga, although I don't think I could ever go sit in a store and read something I wasn't going to buy....that just seems wrong to me. I'd rather go to a library if I was going to do something like that. I can wait though.

Postby Luinta » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:46 pm

It's not that I hate KH. I actually own both and look forward to III, but hate doing anything that seems to liitle-kiddish, and walking with Pooh Bear... well you get where I'm goin' with this.

I make reference to the fact that they did make some BIG mistakes with FF characters: Like giving Sephiroth ANY connection WHAT SO EVER with N'sync! For that alone, I hated them for about 3 weeks. The gamplay was ok and I DID love the Reaction System in KH2, I like the plot. The ONLY think I would have changed was the fact that Disney had it's hand in it. If they replaced the Disney characters and the worlds, even if they kept the levelmap-layouts the same, it'd be right up there in a favorite game status next to FF VIII and DMC1.

However, I still enjoy the games, and if asked, I say "II was good and, in my mind, makes I worth playing." KH1 was a little on the ...eh... (wovels hand horizontally) side for me. Something about the way a few of the FF characters were treated had me a little put off.

Now I'm losing my train of though, and I just realized that I'm getting too wordy again with my posts.

Long story short: don't hate KH games, in fact I own and re-play though them from time to time, but will always do to many games what Carlos Mencia does with ethnicities, exploit the comedic value of stereotypes and generalizations to no end! Especially when I am one of the people who own and enjoy the game I'm bashing! XD Just like the fact that I'm of French blood, so I make as many joke about how I suck at thing as the fact that I'm French! Seriouly, Mothers family is full french blood, and bastards - er- father's family is full french in lineage. I just happen to be the second generation of my family who doesn't even know french at this point! Both parents don't either.

Ps Also, was I wrong in assuming that you all got the picture when I made those comparisons?

Pps: I hate getting wordy, but at the same time I like to give a FULL picture when I explain things. Feel free to cyber-slap me long and hard for taking up so much space with this post.

Postby pettruchio » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:41 am

LOL....no cyber slapping.....I don't htink violence is an answer to anything. Yes I get your point...and I would probably write an equally lengthy reply except this is a Death Note thread and I could spend all day talking about KH but alas this is a DN thread.....which makes me hear the call of the manga again so I will excuse myself to go find out how Kira is going to kill L in his mind....oi, its rare for me to get sucked into manga....anime is more my thing but DN definitely has me hooked and since I am at work I have to read it online (which is annoying but I am willing to do it)....so back to manga land.

Postby Xailyn » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:13 am

D: I liked the Death Note movie! I know it didn't go well in accordance with the series...but I like it! <3
Bakuretsuecon 07: SakuBo, Zexion, and Teru Mikami...And a last minute Mello...

Because All Cons Need a little Mello

Postby Luinta » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:08 am

Again, I suggest Anime-Eden! They have online manga, and most of those are better translations. Well some of them are. I prefer The Ones Who Never Lie as translators. I also love the image of a tiny chibi Ryuk eating an elephant sized apple! lol

but yeah, and another manga I suggest would be Chobits! The anime sucked! But the manga is very little like the anime. I'm SOOO glad I read chobits before I tried to watch it!!! Otherwise, i may have nevre read it, and thus missed out on a very touching, if also rather ecchi, story. Yes the ON switch is in a VERY bad place, but that fact has the deepest (no pun intended) meaning once that placement's purpose is revealed in the last volume!

Again, very touching story when all is said and done.

Id also give Escaflowne a try. See unlike trying to only divert a little fomr the manga, the Movie, Anime, and Manga are all different of a different story! They use the same characters (if you look hard enough), but it's like trying to watch the same people in tell the story from alternate realities. I realized this after watching the movie and anime. I have yet to read the manga though.

Again, I suggest Anime-Eden! They have online manga, and most of those are better translations. Well some of them are. I prefer The Ones Who Never Lie as translators. I also love the image of a tiny chibi Ryuk eating an elephant sized apple! lol

but yeah, and another manga I suggest would be Chobits! The anime sucked! But the manga is very little like the anime. I'm SOOO glad I read chobits before I tried to watch it!!! Otherwise, i may have nevre read it, and thus missed out on a very touching, if also rather ecchi, story. Yes the ON switch is in a VERY bad place, but that fact has the deepest (no pun intended) meaning once that placement's purpose is revealed in the last volume!

Again, very touching story when all is said and done.

Id also give Escaflowne a try. See unlike trying to only divert a little fomr the manga, the Movie, Anime, and Manga are all different of a different story! They use the same characters (if you look hard enough), but it's like trying to watch the same people in tell the story from alternate realities. I realized this after watching the movie and anime. I have yet to read the manga though.

But I know how you feel. I too, don't get involved in many manga. I usually just watch anime. But like I said, in the case of Chobits, the anime SUCKED!, but the manga was very good!

Postby pettruchio » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:48 am

heh....it appears you and I are going to disagree on everything.....I loved Chobits. I own the anime. It was such a sweet story....never read the manga though. As for Escaflowne, the anime is my 2nd if not my first favorite anime....that story is amazing....the movie was a waste of time...the manga appears to be the same....my friend has it and I looked through it and it didn't look interesting.

As for reading manga online, I prefer not to as its a hassle....turning a page in a book is much simpler than trying to get the stupid computer to load a page, however due to clean room violations books are not allowed where I work so I must make do with a computer. Therefore I use mangavolume.com. It seems to work for me most of the time. I don't like anime eden ever since they got sponsors....they used to be such a cool site.

Anyway as for Death Note, I am finishing up chptr 38 and I must say I have completely lost interest. I was rather upset that Raito gave up his Death Note....it didn't seem like his character....and L has lost motivation and that just makes me not like him. The whole Kira vs L had a rather anticlimatic ending and now they are working together???? It reminds me of every other series out there. Besides according to Laban's theory now that Raito has given up his evil ways he will most certainly die.

I'm not impressed now. I am trying to continue reading but the inspiration has left.

EDIT: Yeah I am an idiot. Because I have been reading the majority of DN online I have been thinking, when are they going to inctroduce Light. Everyone talks about him so much I though he was the main character....the scanlation that I have been reading refers to him as Raito and when I was reading the manga he just never happened to be in the chapters I was reading. Anyway....lol I just was reading th emanga on my break and they were talking about Light did this and that and I was thinking who the hell is Light?.....yeah I am an idiot. Anyway I liked him better when he was thinking as Kira then now....he was way cooler then. Now he is just a geek.....genious but geek....grrr.

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:51 pm

I used to read scanslations of things that weren't out in the US, since that was th eonly way to read those series, but when things are out here, I feel like I'm cheating someone out of their money. Same with reading in the store. It just makes me feel funny. :/

I know about how the movie was different than the manga, but I found the parts I read compared to the movie were changed, but the core of the characters stayed the same and that's what mattered. Sure, the girlfriend doesn't exist, but there's always some chick who he totes around as a cover so why not just make it easier for other audiences to understand by saying it's his girlfriend?

Maybe it's just one of those things I've had to come to terms with because of all the superhero movies so now I'm dead on the inside to it. I've ranted about the Spiderman movies before, so I understand where you're coming from, though.

Postby Luinta » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:31 pm

You're absolutely right, it's not like Kira to give... and he didn't... You'll just have to keep reading to see how Kira will...

Once the Yotsuba group is taken care of things will get better. It only loses interest for me for a while during this point, and later during in wake of L's...

I'm not big on spoilers, if ya couldn't tell! XD

And a note on Chobits. Yes I liked the opening, but the anime sucked in comparison to the manga. I recomend reading the manga all the way through, and then comparing for yourself. Seriously, if you actually liked the anime, you should die for the manga!

There are anime that I do enjoy more than the manga though. Fullmetal Alchemist is one. I started the amnga after watching most of the series, but got disinterested quickly. I'll trying again someday.

Postby pettruchio » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:17 pm

My roommate wold disagree with you on the FMA part....she loves that manga. As for me I wasn't thrilled with either. I watched the FMA series through but that was it.

Spoilers...I am not big on them either. I hate it when someone blurts some spoilers out and I try not to do that....

As for DN I have continued reading although its putting me to sleep more than keeping me interested. The Yotsuba arc has just ended and I see what you mean but it seemed kinda soap operaish to me. I think Kia could have come up with a much better way of doing things that what he did.....butI will keep reading as I have gotten this far I might as well.

Stacey: I completely agree with you on both the online thing and the bookstore thing....the only times I read online are when I am at work.....but I would rather read the actual book....

Postby Luinta » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:16 pm

I also hate reading online, that's one of the reasons I started buying the Manga! That and even though I've already read it all, and seen all the anime subbed, I'm still buying all the manga so I can read them again, and again!XD

I'm also watching through Death Note again, cuz it happens to be on [AS] right now while they get more English eps of Bleach.

Anyone here ever seen Utawarerumono btw? I found it after watching the AMV Contest last year. It's the anime that went with the string version of For You by Staind. It's a really good anime! I downloaded all of the subbed eps!

I'd give a link, but I'm sure the staff frown on that sort of thing.

Next

Return to Manga