What Panels & Events for '07?

Containing all the old threads from 2007
Bakuretsu Con Staff

What Panels & Events for '07?

Postby Momiji-k » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:17 pm

So what panels or Events do you want to see again?

What panels or Events do you hope to never even hear mentioned again?

What ones need improving but would be good to give another try?

Let the ideas flow. We have a lot of time to make things happen (as long as we start now!).
Valerie Tatro
Former Bakuretsu Con Chair
2002-2011

Postby Nickle4aPickle » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:30 pm

I liked the tourneys (well, I was only in the DDR one, but I liked it! XD), & the anime dating game. XDDD SSSOOOO funny!

I didn't go in there for very long, but I heard that people weren't very happy with the selection of hentais in the hentai room. So, I guess better hentai is needed. XD

(I already said this in another topic, but I'll reitterate it here as well) I think the pool party was a flop, & either 2 dances or just 1 dance on Saturday would be better than how it was this year. Though I was really pleased with how warm the pool was! |D XD

My only complaint about things in general was that things started late (though sometimes that was a fortunate thing), but I know that can't really be helped. ^^;

I really did enjoy this con! Thanks so much to the staff & everyone who made it possible!!! =D
Photos from 2006!
2006 - Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club, random Bondage Raver Kitten girl (XD)
2007 - Who knows?! XD

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Nickle4aPickle wrote:I liked the tourneys (well, I was only in the DDR one, but I liked it! XD), & the anime dating game. XDDD SSSOOOO funny!

My only complaint about things in general was that things started late (though sometimes that was a fortunate thing), but I know that can't really be helped. ^^;

Seems no matter what we do that it's always difficult to stay on time. Part of that is even though we have doubled our staff we are still under staffed. (didn't help that two staffers didn't show up, but one of them had a VERY good excuse).

For those of you who were new to the con this year we did pretty good about staying on schedule so there was a lot of improvement. The problem with the video rooms was equipment that was never tested. Partly my fault, I just didn't have enough of me to get things done.

Very sorry about that. When they perfect that cloning process we shouldn't have any problems finding enough hands to do stuff. :P
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Bakuretsu Con Staff
Location: The end of time and space, where only the lost may tred

Okay

Postby Shadow_Requium » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:39 pm

Nobody seemed intrested in games at the pool party....

Any suggestions? What games would you like to see for next year?
Costumes
2003 Riku, FFX – Baku
2005 Mahou - Baku
2007 Tutu, Princess Tutu – Baku
2009 Chi, Chobits – Baku / Dia, Shugo Chara – AAC
2010 Ranma, Ranma ½ - AB
2011 Lucy, Fairy Tail – AB
2012 Zelda, Skyward Sword - AB / TARDIS, Doctor Who - Otakuthon

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Re: Okay

Postby Momiji-k » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:54 pm

Shadow_Requium wrote:Nobody seemed intrested in games at the pool party....

Any suggestions? What games would you like to see for next year?

Now that I had the time to do it (took me about 30 seconds, do you think I could find time before though?). I went and looked up some games. Here is one site I found: http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/feature/famf87poolgames/famf87poolgames2.html

I like the sounds of the one that is pretty much dodge ball in the pool. Seems like I remember doing that as a kid.... I bet it would still be fun. :D
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Toothpaste Boy

pool party

Postby Thelonemiroku » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:01 am

well i have a sugestion on the pool party. i would have loved to have gone but it was the same time as the larp and alot of people were at the larp. maybe haveing it away from other big events would help. you probly had to keep it late to not have a hotel conflict but by haveing it at the same time as the larp you lost alot of people.
The OTAKU DJ ......DJ D20!!!!
Good comments about dance: 7
Bad comments about dance:0

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:55 am

It's just about impossible to avoid conflicts. We've gone over things many times and decided the only solution is to only ever have one event running at a time (not a very practicle soulution).

The party was actually well attended. It was just the games that didn't go off. But next year for sure. :)

As far as getting it away from the LARP, well it was either to be scheduled durring the LARP or the Dance.... not much or a choice there....
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby Kantrix_Gabriel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:10 pm

The Anime Dating Game was absolutely hilarious, and a lot of fun. I hope the host in red feels better...

Also the idea of having everyone in artist's alley sign our con shirts was a stroke of genius. I love my shirt! I will probably never wash (or wear) it, but I will cherish it forever.

I'll throw some suggestions out here, but please forgive me if I mention something that happened. I didn't get to go to the con until Sunday :cry:

1) Perhaps a daily showing of AMV's could be arranged in one of the TV rooms. After voting, that is. So everyone could see the winning videos.

2) More vendors! I found it odd that there were no manga (or really any anime DVD's...) being sold in the dealer's room. Last year at least Tokyopop was there....

3) I don't know how this would go over, but perhaps the board game room could have some game consols added for some general gaming so the downstairs gaming room could be used exclusively for contests. This way there'd be more room for DDR competitions as well.

4) I missed Whose Line is it Anime this year, but it was HILARIOUS last year. I don't think anyone would mind seeing more bits like that and The Anime Dating Game.

5) I don't know if other people got lost, but I was confused by the different floors. Perhaps some bigger, bolder signs would help. It might help the guests avoid us as well.

That's all I can think of for now.

Postby dokool » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:51 pm

Kantrix_Gabriel wrote:1) Perhaps a daily showing of AMV's could be arranged in one of the TV rooms. After voting, that is. So everyone could see the winning videos.

Well, how many 'daily' showings can you have after voting (which ends on Saturday)? They show the winners on Saturday during cosplay judging, FYI.

Also, if you want to see more (and better!) AMVs, go to the AMV Panel, as we showed nothing but gold. I also threw a few on at random times (after Brian's Photoshop panel, for example). It'd be nice if someone could set up a good Best-Of block like I did for AAC...

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:10 pm

Kantrix_Gabriel wrote:1) Perhaps a daily showing of AMV's could be arranged in one of the TV rooms. After voting, that is. So everyone could see the winning videos.

2) More vendors! I found it odd that there were no manga (or really any anime DVD's...) being sold in the dealer's room. Last year at least Tokyopop was there....

3) I don't know how this would go over, but perhaps the board game room could have some game consols added for some general gaming so the downstairs gaming room could be used exclusively for contests. This way there'd be more room for DDR competitions as well.

4) I missed Whose Line is it Anime this year, but it was HILARIOUS last year. I don't think anyone would mind seeing more bits like that and The Anime Dating Game.

5) I don't know if other people got lost, but I was confused by the different floors. Perhaps some bigger, bolder signs would help. It might help the guests avoid us as well.

That's all I can think of for now.

Ok, here's the responses:

1) We did for the most part have a daily showing of AMVs. We started on Thursday night's preview night and also had showings on Friday and Saturday. Sunday is the only day we don't have a showing and that is because the voting is over by then. We would have liked to show the winning videos at closing but we had showed them at the cosplay so hopefully we can do that next year.

2) We have actually never had Tokyo Pop at our convention. Last year we had Walden Books but they were unable to attend this year due to corperate decisions. By the time we found out we were unable to find another vendor that could make it. Most don't live near enough to make the trip.

As far as a larger dealers room, you will have to bring me a larger attendence before I will do that. Our vendors come at great expense and distance and cannot afford to do so if they don't make money. I do my research and will only get what our con will support (which is 3 dealers). As it stands, next year we should be able to support someone with DVDs or manga or maybe both as long as it is the same dealer.

Sorry, it has to be that way. I like a big dealer's room too. But not at the expense of the vendors loosing money. If that happens then the dealer's room becomes completely empty and no one wants that.

3) There is no way we can add console gaming to the table top area. The noise is too annoying and distracting to the rest of the room for one thing. Space is another issue.

Tournaments were very popular this year but they still aren't popular enough to justify a whole room. It was a good thought though.

4) We did run Who's Line, it was on Friday. We had Jeopardy on Saturday and the Dating Game on Sunday. We are woking on adding a couple more interactive game show type events for next year. But the way the schedule is it's hard to do everything. We run out of time and space.

5) Getting lost was an issue for a while but after going up the floors a few times it isn't too hard. We had nice maps and a lot of signs. We will try to get a few more next time.

I think that covers everything. Please keep the suggestions comming. We always to our best to work on things but sometimes there is not much we can do (as is the case in many of these we just discussed).
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby dokool » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:15 pm

Con_Chair wrote:5) Getting lost was an issue for a while but after going up the floors a few times it isn't too hard. We had nice maps and a lot of signs. We will try to get a few more next time.

I saw a few "Where are the Bakuretsucon Events?" signs posted to walls, but they were very small compared to what they should be. You need, like, huge posterboards with arrows.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:18 pm

Luane actually stayed up really late (like 2 or 3 AM late!) on Thrusday or Friday night (I forget which) to make signs for *everything*. But one person can only do so much... others might have been able to make signs but that would have required a lot of thought process that most of us just didn't have at that point.

It was my intention that all the easles and sign boards would have big arrows and words that pointed the way... but again... just didn't happen.

I will talk to the staff ahead of time this year and ask that we make up some stuff ahead of time.
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby Kantrix_Gabriel » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:10 pm

Luane actually stayed up really late (like 2 or 3 AM late!) on Thrusday or Friday night (I forget which) to make signs for *everything*. But one person can only do so much... others might have been able to make signs but that would have required a lot of thought process that most of us just didn't have at that point.

If you want some help with signs next year, I would love to help. It sounds like you're a bit understaffed.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:23 am

That's pretty much par for the course. I think most cons run under staffed, at least a little. Even when your not it always seems there aren't enough people to do the task at hand....

We appreciate the help. :)
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby Almechazel » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:25 pm

I certainly appreciate it. There's only so many graphics that can be made a week before the con....
-Johnson
Bakuretsu Con 2006-2009 Vice-Chair
2010 Guest Relations
2011 Publications Staff

Next

Return to 2007 Archives