Convnetion Information from an Inside Source

This a place you can talk about conventions in general. There are several in the New England area now.

Convnetion Information from an Inside Source

Postby zcat68 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:00 am

I make hotel reservations for a living so I have a little bit of inside information about who's got what and when things might be held. At least I have dates and names. For instance:

This year's Anime USA rooms are sold out.

Anime Boston is the same weekend as the marathon? (note this is what my computer told me, and I make hotel reservations for a living now).

I've only really begun to explore the surface of what's possible (my information is based on calls I received to access the information, as well as my own private searching during dead times). If I discover anything else, I will be more than happy to post it here if anyone wants me to.
"I thought clowns made everyone else laugh?" Kurama

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:30 am

Forget the posting, if you ever find out someone canceled their Otakon room at the Days Inn just send me a private message. :wink:

That's pretty cool though.

Do you work for one particular company's national reservation line or do you work for an agency that works with everyone?
Valerie Tatro
Former Bakuretsu Con Chair
2002-2011

Postby zcat68 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:37 pm

I work for one company that works with several different kinds of hotels Sharetons, Westins, Four Points, and other hotels that I can't really picture hosting cons in my lifetime.

Re: Convnetion Information from an Inside Source

Postby PatrickD » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:59 pm

zcat68 wrote:Anime Boston is the same weekend as the marathon? (note this is what my computer told me, and I make hotel reservations for a living now).

No, Anime Boston was only the same weekend as the Boston Marathon in 2003. It will never be on that weekend ever again...at least not while the convention is in the Hynes.

The Boston Marathon is April 16, 2007. Anime Boston is April 20-22, 2007.

Refer to AB's FAQ:
http://animeboston.com/about/faq/gen.shtml#8
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com : http://animecons.com/
The Chibi Project : http://chibiproject.com/
Anime Unscripted : http://animeunscripted.com/

Postby zcat68 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:16 pm

That's what I figured, it just happened to be what I caught on my computer. I had a guy call to see if he could get a room at the marathon rate...which doesn't seem to exsist yet. Odd I know.

EDIT: I should add that are system is increibly screwy. It tells me to mention stupid things that make zero sense, like I was supposed to tell a caller to take a train that doesn't run on weekends. So that is what I am working with when the Anime Boston dates are showing up at the same time as the Marathon.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:17 am

Take a train that doesn't exist huh? I don't know, that sounds like Boston to me. :P The first time we ever went to the Haynes was for the (not so) Great American Anime Expo. We had a map that told us to use some exit (22, I think it was) off the of the road we were traveling on. We couldn't find it. We turned around and paid a toll like 2 or 3 times. Finally we asked the guy at the toll both and showed him the map.... he said "There is no exit 22, they never built it!"

:lol:

It's funny now, but that first trip was rather frustrating. Since then I have never been a fan of traveling to or in Boston. :x
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby Gene_Starwind_ » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:00 am

I always have my Mother drive if I go to Boston. She grew up around there, so she knows the area.
Meow!

Trains...

Postby Mimi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:05 pm

Talking about trains, my friends and I were planning on using Amtrack to get to Baltimore next year for Otakon. Could you offer any suggestions for this? Apparently there's a one-train, Burlington-Baltimore connection (hurray for 12 hour train rides!). Do you have any experience with this? How early should we leave?

We already have hotel rooms booked at the Day's Inn. XD

Postby zcat68 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:06 am

You should make that as much of your ride is during normal hours as possible, cause yeah, the people on trains after a normal time period are really weird. I took a red-eye from DC to RI, it wasn't pretty.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Re: Trains...

Postby LantisEscudo » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:09 am

Mimi wrote:Talking about trains, my friends and I were planning on using Amtrack to get to Baltimore next year for Otakon. Could you offer any suggestions for this? Apparently there's a one-train, Burlington-Baltimore connection (hurray for 12 hour train rides!). Do you have any experience with this? How early should we leave?

I used to go to college in Baltimore, so I took that train several times back when it was still the Montrealler (Montreal-DC) and its successor, the Vermonter (St. Albans, VT-DC).

There are two Baltimore stops on the line, BWI and Penn Station. For Otakon, you're going to want Penn Station, which is at 15th and Charles, so you're about 15 blocks north of the BCC from there, which is about a $5 cab fare, or you can take the Light Rail from Penn to Convention Center Station at Howard & Pratt. The Light Rail is cheaper, but if you have a lot of stuff, a cab is easier. Also, the Light Rail might not be running at the time you get in.

As to the train itself, the best way I remember it is Butt Death. It's a thirteen-hour ride from St. Albans to Baltimore (8:30 AM to 9:15 PM, 9 AM to 9:30 returning), assuming no delays, and track conditions haven't been the best lately, so delays are likely. Also, bring plenty of batteries for whatever electronic things you want to use; as of my last experience (a few years ago, admittedly), not all cars have power outlets, meaning you're running on battery.

I'd suggest you travel Thursday and Monday if you don't want to miss large portions of the con. Checking the price on thier site, if you were to reserve your tickets today, it would cost you $140 round-trip (July 19/23 travel dates). Hope this helps.

Postby demonseed » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:34 pm

I go to alot of cons on the east coast and book a room as soon as the hotel info goes up. It can always be cancelled later. Hope it's OK to mention I usually go by myself and I am always looking for roommates.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:41 pm

We'll be sure to open up the "room mate" thread again in the near future. :)

And booking ahead is *always* a good idea, unless you forget you even made it and don't go. That would be bad... :wink:
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Re: Trains...

Postby demonseed » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:19 pm

Mimi wrote:Talking about trains, my friends and I were planning on using Amtrack to get to Baltimore next year for Otakon. Could you offer any suggestions for this? Apparently there's a one-train, Burlington-Baltimore connection (hurray for 12 hour train rides!). Do you have any experience with this? How early should we leave?

Does any of you drive? I know I looked into a train for Katsucon and it was the most confusing thing. From Massachusetts it was going to cost me about $249 round trip. Even though you'd have to deal with the drive and traffic, imagine how much you'd save if you could rent a car.

Postby Gene_Starwind_ » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:35 am

You still have to Pay for Gas.
Meow!

Postby Shiva » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:00 am

That, and parking.

Plus my car is so unreliable it would never get there in one peice.

I'm going to take the train to Kasu from Boston I think. If we got enough people together, maybe we could get a group rate. .

Next

Return to Other Conventions