Kare Kano

Want to talk about manga? Well now we have a place to do that!
Bakuretsu Con Staff

Kare Kano

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:49 pm

Ok, since no one has posted I will go first. ^_^

I started picking up random volumes of Kare Kano this spring when ever I could get a deal on them. I finally finished off the set at Otakon and just completed reading it ALL on Sunday night. There's just one more volume to go that hasn't been released.

I have to say that this was MUCH better than the anime. The anime was good... if you can get past all the crap the Gainax adds in for NO reason. Dripping faucets, train signals, still scenes that last several minutes and a recap of the ENTIRE series every OTHER eipsode!! :evil: *Huff*

Ok. I'm better now.

But really. They should have just done it right and it would have been 13 episodes insead of 24 or 25. I forget exactly which. Or better yet, keep it at that number and go beyond the point that they covered which I think was up to about volume 7 or so. I will just assume that those volumes weren't out yet so it wasn't an option.

There was a lot of content here (as there should be for 20 volumes!). I enjoyed the fact that the author explored so many of the characters and even focused exclusively on the non-main characters for 3 volumes.

This was a great drama/romance/comdey. It's funny that Tokyo Pop lists it as a comdey/romance. If I hadn't been familar with the story ahead of time I would have been surprised at how angsty and dark parts of it were.

There are a lot of things worth discussing in this series. But I won't mention any so it won't spoil it for others. I'd like to have a manga discussion group. Maybe we can do one through the forum. :idea:

Has anyone else read Kare Kano?
Valerie Tatro
Former Bakuretsu Con Chair
2002-2011

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:04 pm

I have, but I'm stuck at volume 15, because whenever I go to Borders, 16 is always missing and I feel like I'd be even more confused if I just kept up with the series and bought 16 later.

And I completely agree about the anime's stupid dripping faucet/train signal/cross walk/empty hallway scenes. I'm pretty sure everyone has a beef about them and no one finds them 'artistic' or whatever they're supposed to be besides fillers.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:13 pm

XxShugoTenshixX wrote:
And I completely agree about the anime's stupid dripping faucet/train signal/cross walk/empty hallway scenes. I'm pretty sure everyone has a beef about them and no one finds them 'artistic' or whatever they're supposed to be besides fillers.

Totally! Fillers! :? That nails it.

Yeah, I don't think you want to skip #16. I just had to run out and buy #15 on Saturday night because I finished 14 and realized I missed that one when I bought the last few I was missing at the Tokyo Pop booth. :shock: I remembered a friend mentioned they had a lot of used kare Kano at Barnes & Noble so I crossed my fingers.

I was lucky they had it and it was in good shape. I was still annoyed that at half price I could have had a brand new copy instead of a used one if I had realized I needed it when I was at Otakon.

Any ways. This is a really intense and complicated part of the series and skipping could be bad. Real bad. With all the exploration of Arima's past and his family's history it's important to read every book.
Valerie Tatro
Former Bakuretsu Con Chair
2002-2011

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:24 pm

Con_Chair wrote:This is a really intense and complicated part of the series and skipping could be bad. Real bad. With all the exploration of Arima's past and his family's history it's important to read every book.

That's what I figured from all the other things they give you up till then. XD It's incredibly sad and I want to see it all resolved ASAP, so I might order is from my friend who works at the Bookrack, it'd probably be easier.

Return to Manga