Translation Hacking Panel?

Announcements and details about panels and workshops.
Please start a new topic when making a suggestion.

Translation Hacking Panel?

Postby filler » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:03 pm

Would there be any interest in a panel on fan translating video games? I'm mostly familiar with the translation end, Japanese to English, though I could talk about some of the basics of the technical part.

I've been in the "scene" for almost 10 years with 11 completed patches, and over 20 scripts I've worked on. I've translated a number of anime based games including Bubblegum Crash, Maison Ikkoku, Magic Knight Rayearth, Slayers, 3x3 Eyes, Ghost Sweeper Mikami and more.

I'd be glad to talk about what it's like working on projects, dos and don'ts, tools & resources, some history, ethics, as well as showing off some of my projects. I may be able to convince one or two others in the area to join me.

Re: Translation Hacking Panel?

Postby osurpless » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:36 pm

filler wrote:Would there be any interest in a panel on fan translating video games? I'm mostly familiar with the translation end, Japanese to English, though I could talk about some of the basics of the technical part.

I've been in the "scene" for almost 10 years with 11 completed patches, and over 20 scripts I've worked on. I've translated a number of anime based games including Bubblegum Crash, Maison Ikkoku, Magic Knight Rayearth, Slayers, 3x3 Eyes, Ghost Sweeper Mikami and more.

I'd be glad to talk about what it's like working on projects, dos and don'ts, tools & resources, some history, ethics, as well as showing off some of my projects. I may be able to convince one or two others in the area to join me.

Absolutely, as there was a similar topic at PAXEast 2011 that was surprisingly popular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9GwH82kQGY

I hope you will consider submitting it, as I consider the subject, especially some knowledge of it, the key to showing that someone is passionate about video games.
"Oh Please, Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God." Vagrant Story - Sydney Losstarot

Postby filler » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Ok, I'll definitely submit it then. Do you know the deadline for submissions? I still haven't heard from one of the people I contacted and I'd like to get the material together before I make a write up.

EDIT: BTW, thanks for that awesome link. I watched all the videos. Really neat stuff to see.

Postby osurpless » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:51 pm

filler wrote:Ok, I'll definitely submit it then. Do you know the deadline for submissions? I still haven't heard from one of the people I contacted and I'd like to get the material together before I make a write up.

EDIT: BTW, thanks for that awesome link. I watched all the videos. Really neat stuff to see.

Thanks for the affirmation on that panel; I was really glad to find out that I wasn't one of the few interested at East, though Apollo Justice probably had more to do with the high attendance that anything else...

As for the deadline, I believe it is October 12th (contact davenfonet on the forums to know for sure), and as of typing this message, you are still able to submit, so you should get it done straightaway.
"Oh Please, Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God." Vagrant Story - Sydney Losstarot

Postby filler » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Looks like it wasn't accepted. :( Maybe another time.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby davenfonet » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:27 am

filler wrote:Looks like it wasn't accepted. :( Maybe another time.

I'm looking to find a time and place for it. Stay tuned.
The ToddFather
---------------------------------------
Co-Director of Programing - 2008
Director of Programing - 2009
Vice-Chair - 2010
Director of Programing - 2011
Director of Programing - 2012

Postby filler » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:49 am

Thank you! So as to avoid confusion, a time was found for this panel. Thanks for working me in. I'll be doing it at 11pm to 12am on Friday the 21st. Hope to see you there!

Return to Panels & Workshops