More 2011 Panel Ideas!

Announcements and details about panels and workshops.
Please start a new topic when making a suggestion.

More 2011 Panel Ideas!

Postby osurpless » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Hello Everyone,

I also submitted the following video game Anniversary related panels for Bakuretsucon 2011. Let's talk about what you would like to see, so that they are more likely to be accepted!

1. The Legend of Zelda or: How I Learned to Love Majora’s Mask, Tolerate Ocarina of Time’s Excessive Praise, and Accept the Idea of a Giant Pig-Based Man Being Threatening - Just in time for the 25th anniversary of this seminal video game series.

2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or: How I Learned to Realize that Bishouenen Characters can Kick Ass, Acknowledge Simon’s Quest, and Insist that Vampires Have a Few Too Many Powers - Just in time for the 15th anniversary of this seminal reinvention of the “classic” Castlevania series.

3. Final Fantasy V or: How I Learned to Love Nonsensical FF Plots, Tolerate Those who Ignore Galuf, and Insist that V has Closer Ties to X-2 than Most are Comfortable With - Just in time for the 20th Anniversary of the 5th Final Fantasy (don’t think about it too hard…) that bought us the notion of the epic of Gilgamesh in a patently silly way.

I also have a (very tentative) discussion topic on Politics in Video Games written up, but I'm still talking with friends about it due to the taboo nature of the subject in polite conversation/fan driven discussions. Appreciate any opinions as well on the idea!
"Oh Please, Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God." Vagrant Story - Sydney Losstarot

Re: More 2011 Panel Ideas!

Postby Gene_Starwind_ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:58 am

These are great panels! I hope they get accepted!
Meow!

Postby Gene_Starwind_ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:01 pm

What do you mean about the politics in games? Like governmental systems in the game world?
Meow!

Postby osurpless » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Gene_Starwind_ wrote:What do you mean about the politics in games? Like governmental systems in the game world?

I'm thinking the player as the major in Simcity (or countless other leadership roles in Sim games), the political philosophies espoused by Bioshock and Resident Evil, and perhaps even the often altruistic attitudes displayed by the RPG heroes that work together to save entire worlds.

How does this play into our own realworld situations?
"Oh Please, Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God." Vagrant Story - Sydney Losstarot

Postby Gene_Starwind_ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Sounds interesting. What about the RPG heroes that think nothing of breaking into houses and stealing stuff?
Meow!

Postby osurpless » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Gene_Starwind_ wrote:Sounds interesting. What about the RPG heroes that think nothing of breaking into houses and stealing stuff?

Yea, that could work as a play on the "eminent domain" concept. Ha!

Postby osurpless » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:04 pm

I submitted Politics in Video Games, due to encouragement from AnimeAnthropologist from Nekocon. He has run many similar topics, especially Politics in Anime. Thanks for the support and I hope people will check it out if it is scheduled at Bakucon.

Postby Gene_Starwind_ » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:53 pm

I know I will!
Meow!

Have Bat will travel

Postby blcdude » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:11 pm

If we're talking politics in video games, I feel the need to at least mention Beyond Good & Evil. The game deals with propaganda, the relationship between politics and media, and so much more. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

Postby Gene_Starwind_ » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:00 pm

I want that game... What system was it on again?
Meow!

Postby osurpless » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:51 pm

blcdude wrote:If we're talking politics in video games, I feel the need to at least mention Beyond Good & Evil. The game deals with propaganda, the relationship between politics and media, and so much more. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for the topic idea. I haven't played it myself, but do know of its story/history. I'll add that to my discussion topics.

Have Bat will travel

Postby blcdude » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Gene_Starwind_ wrote:I want that game... What system was it on again?

Originally released Gamecube, PS2, Xbox and PC. An HD re-release is available via Xbox live and the Playstation Network.

Postby Gene_Starwind_ » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Cool, thanks!
Meow!

Return to Panels & Workshops