Cosplay Chess - We need you!!

Major Events, Chairty Auctions, Tournaments, Game Shows, Cosplay events, etc!

Cosplay Chess - We need you!!

Postby Mimi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Cosplay Chess is returning to Bakuretsucon... but we can't do it without you!

We have an exciting game planned but there's no way to play chess without the pieces! If you are an enthusiastic cosplayer with an hour to spare, we need you to join us!

How it works: (a simple step-by-step guide!)

- email us at cosplaychess@bakuretsucon.org with the following information:
1. Your name (or whatever you want to be called by)
2. The name of the character you are cosplaying
3. The name of the anime/game your character is from
4. How your character is most likely to make a kill (and/or die if you are playing a character that doesn't usually fight)

For example...
1. Joe Schmo
2. Light
3. Death Note
4. He writes people's names in the Death Note.
Simple enough, right? Links to pictures of your character and/or your cosplay (completed or not) are also appreciated. If you can find a youtube video of your character fighting, even better!

- We will email you back to let you know that we have received your email and that you're part of the show! We may also ask you a few more questions about your character so we can make sure to place you in a way that will create an exciting game.

- As we receive more entries, we will finalize
1. your placement on the board
2. the character(s) you will be fighting
3. how you will die
This information should allow you to start thinking about your attack/death.

Nearly all the characters in this game will move, fight, and/or die. You will have a chance to discuss your moves with the other cosplayers before the game. Think about ways to make the game fun for both the audience and the pieces! Also, know the limits of your costume and plan moves/kills that won't damage it . The game will most likely take place around noon on Sunday.

A short afternote:
We greatly appreciate everyone who wants to be a part of this event, but please do not sign up unless you are certain that you can attend... and if anything changes, please let us know immediately so we can open up your spot to someone else. We don't care as much about the quality of your cosplay as we do about your ability to physically attend. We even have a few costumes of our own that we'd be happy to let you borrow if you wish to be part of the game but don't have a costume to wear. The best thing to do if you are uncertain about anything is to email us.

Finally: Spread the word to your cosplay friends! Help us make this the most epic game of cosplay chess in the history of anime!!
Last edited by Mimi on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Cosplay Chess - We need you!!

Postby jusdepomme » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:15 pm

which day will it be?

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby davenfonet » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:33 pm

jusdepomme wrote:which day will it be?

90% chance of it being Sunday, as each day we try to have 1 major event that uses both Main events and the 'panel 1' rooms combined.

Friday is always amvs
Saturday is cosplay,
Sunday iron cosplay.
The ToddFather
---------------------------------------
Co-Director of Programing - 2008
Director of Programing - 2009
Vice-Chair - 2010
Director of Programing - 2011
Director of Programing - 2012

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby MissEmmeline » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:53 pm

This is going to be seriously awesome you guys, you know you want to come be a part of it!!
(Also, remember that this is NOT the masquerade....no one is judging you on the quality of your costumes for this - just how engaging and dynamic you can be in your role!!)

Postby Luinta » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Are OC's alright? I have been working on an OC from the FFVII world, so it will have defining characteristics like weapon *small and wooden and blunt to fi t regulations* and Materia. IF I can pull the cosplay together in time, I'd love to participate ^_^ But I'm holding off signing up until I get the cosplay together, just to make sure I'm not holding a spot I might not be able to fill.

The character's alignment is a bit of Chaotic-Good, and class is Thief(mostly), if that helps any.
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby MissEmmeline » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Original characters are kind of an interesting case just because of the nature of cosplay chess....one of the coolest aspects is seeing the interaction between characters you are familiar with (like, based on their personalities, how funny would it be to see X and Y duke it out), so it's sort of not as exciting for the audience to watch characters they don't know or have a history with. That being said, if you feel like you can really bring something in terms of presenting an outstanding personality, have a great idea for a fight sequence, being really humorous and engaging, etc etc then I'd say it would probably work ^^ (bonus points if you swear on your soul and unborn children that you will absolutely show up for the rehearsal and the event hahahaha)

Postby Chickadee23 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:07 pm

Just want to make sure I'm right about this.
You don't have to know how to play chess to be in this, right? Cause I want to join, but I've never been able to understand chess. @_@

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby MissEmmeline » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Absolutely not! Hahaha...we already have the game planned, so we will be telling the pieces to like, move three spaces diagonally or something. All you'll need to figure out is how you will attack other characters and how you will die :)

Postby Luinta » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:57 am

The only real gimmick I can think of is that my character uses Materia (adn I mean I have materia I've bought online ^_^) which fits him into the FFVII world, which is where I got hte idea, but if I get hte cosplay done, and it's getting closer ot con time and you need extra people to fill out hte roster, then I volunteer ^_^ I COULD probably come up with a Squall/Leon cosplay if I have a little extra cash ^_^ I already know how ot make a cheep (and con-safe) gunblade ^_^
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby MissEmmeline » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Luinta, both of those ideas sound good, and we're still looking for people so go ahead and sign up! :D

Postby Luinta » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Unfortunately, due to cash constraints, I won't be able to purchase the final materials for my cosplay until Wednesday right before the con, so I'll be in a bit of a mad-rush to finish it, but if I can get it done, I'm still willing to sign up, I jsut don't know if it'll be too late >.<

Postby jusdepomme » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Unfortunately, I'll be giving a panel during the set-up. Still, I'll come to watch it :D

Postby osurpless » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:46 am

I hope to join as Xemnas from Kingdom Hearts. Information sent.
"Oh Please, Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God." Vagrant Story - Sydney Losstarot

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby MissEmmeline » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks for your application! We'll be sending you a reply with your placement in the next few hours ^^

Postby Luinta » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 am

Good news! I was able to get the biggest parts of my cosplay together before Baku ^_^ I can BS the clothing part with old cloths that I'm willing to scrap ^_^ I'll be able to participate, if you still need me that is ^_^ I jsut sent out the email to the address at the top of this page ^_^

Next

Return to Main Events