5 Recommended Animes to watch

General discussion about anime. Talk about your favorite shows, make suggestions, ask questions.
The Story Teller

5 Recommended Animes to watch

Postby Kirin Folken » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:44 am

So its simple :) List 5 Animes that you would recommend to another Otaku to watch. Can be your favorites, or just animes you really enjoyed, and add a 1 line comment why.

1. Samaruai 7
Its the classic 7 Samaruai story done to Anime, with a Steam punk feel and mecha, What more could a anime fan ask for?

2. Bubblegum Crisis 2032/2033
Classic Cyber punk, Great 80s Music and likeable characters dealing with modern day issues for the future.

3. 12 Kingdoms
Epic tale.... Lots of character development, fantasy while still keeping it down to earth.

4. Full Metal Panic Fumafu (the hell with the rest of it LOL)
You will laugh yourself silly. Great Comedy watch.

5. Sailormoon (Sub NOT THAT DUB CRAP)
Seriously, give it a try... it might not be the latest newest thing out thier but this is a classic of Anime and well worth the watch.
Bakuretsu Con Pre-Planning 2001
Bakuretsu Con Staff member 2001-2013 O_o
Bakuretsu Con Director of Gaming 2003 and 2004
Bakuretsu Con Vice-Chair 2004 and 2005
Bakuretsu Con Head of Video Gaming 2006-2011 ^_^
Bakuretsu Con Director of Publications 2011

On the Forums 24/7
Location: Essex Junction, Vermont (Above the republican bar. . .)

Re: 5 Recommended Animes to watch

Postby Hug Me! » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:46 am

Sailor Moon also sounds less. . . In Japanese. . . Sorta.
Comiket51 1999
Bakuretsucon 2006
Bakuretsucon 2007 Volunteer
Anime Boston 2008
PortconMaine 2008
Otakon 2008
Bakuretsucon 2008 Artist
Anime Boston 2009-Tech Staff
Otakon 2009- Main Events Staff
Anime Boston 2010- Tech Staff

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby WizeManBOB » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:34 pm

In no real order but thought...

1. Vision of Escaflowne. (series and movie) [action, fantasy, mecha, romance]
It's a good story with some interesting characters, while watching both the series and the movie shows the same story under different circumstances.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion. [action, mecha, religion, violence]
Because I love Gainax. A story with so many twists it makes most of the characters' heads (&c.) explode. Also, there's a penguin.

3. FLCL. [chaos, comedy, mecha]
Because I hate people. This is likely the only series ever that is about a skin disease that causes giant robots to pop out of your head. Really, it's a weird trip, but I think FLCL is kind of the anime to make or break an otaku. Kinda like the 40 year old(+) male Sailor Senshi at a con. Only with more um and less ah.

4. Berserk. [action, religion, romance, violence+++]
I've spent twenty minutes trying to find a way to put this one into a short explanation. It seems like a hack 'n slash title at first, but really explores what it is to be human. Warning: Not, repeat, NOT for children. It is violent in more ways than one.

5. Azumanga Daioh. [comedy, high school, non-sequential]
A cute series about what high school is. It's funny, over the top, and--for those of us out of school--a bit nostalgic.
This is a post. You may think it is more than a post, but actually, it is just a post.
Dana Bills; Baku cog of eclectic (read hectic) position.

On the Forums 24/7
Location: Essex Junction, Vermont (Above the republican bar. . .)

Postby Hug Me! » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:45 pm

Azumanga Dioh. . . *Brain melts*
Comiket51 1999
Bakuretsucon 2006
Bakuretsucon 2007 Volunteer
Anime Boston 2008
PortconMaine 2008
Otakon 2008
Bakuretsucon 2008 Artist
Anime Boston 2009-Tech Staff
Otakon 2009- Main Events Staff
Anime Boston 2010- Tech Staff

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby davenfonet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:24 am

here are my five (not counting the ones that people did that i would have done.

Hikaru No Go [Shonen, Drama, Go]
Death Note's artist + amazing story = win. Its very forumlaic but still enjoyable.

Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien (English Rumbuling Hearts) [Shojo, drama, angst]
One of the best anime's i've ever seen. its about 4 high school friends...

Gungrave [Shonen, Mafia, Godfather]
Based on the PS2 video game of the same name. Follows two childhood friends rise and fall into the mafia. Plus there are zombies

Black Lagoon [Shonen, Pirates, Guns]
A south seas business man is captured by modern day pirates. Shory episode arcs involoving all kinds of explosions and stuff. Watch the dub its AMAZING!

Lovely Complex [Shojo, Osaka, Awsome]
One of the last animes I watched and just hooked me. Its akin to Kare-Kano in my mind, but more on the humor side then the serious. Still enjoyable. Also Bear curry.
The ToddFather
---------------------------------------
Co-Director of Programing - 2008
Director of Programing - 2009
Vice-Chair - 2010
Director of Programing - 2011
Director of Programing - 2012

Postby pettruchio » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 am

My HiME- Fantasy mixed with real life, awesome music, wonderful story line.

Fushigi Yugi-Same reason as My HiME with one extra added ITS BY YUU WATASE!!!!! She is great.

Peacemaker-Action, blood, with a rather touching story underneath it.

Code Geass-Action, drama, comedy, mecha, fantasy, this has it all plus the character design is by CLAMP so its really pretty too!

Hare and Guu-This anime is so twisted your mind will never be the same again...yet its impossible to resist!! Guaranteed to laugh your ass off while thinking why in the world am I still watching this??

Edit: I would recommend watching all of these in Japanese. The dub isn't bad on Fushigi Yugi but the others are simply useless.....
"Here's another curse for you: May all your bacon burn." ~ Calcifer

Postby Almechazel » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:43 am

Sorcerer Hunters

Ronin Warriors

Outlaw Star

Rune Soldier

Macross

I'd explain why each one should be watched individually, but it tends to boil out the same... Sorcerer Hunters and Rune Soldier have some of the same design team, and the same style of comedy shines through- fantasy and sexual innuendo. Outlaw Star gives us an epic growing up story (again with some innuendo-based humor), While Ronin Warriors and Macross just give us terrific, beautifully done plotlines. Ronin being a true animated sentai show just helps it kick more ass, and macross, well, it's truly a classic, nomatter which version you watch - the original, Robotech, Macross 7, Frontier, Zero, or Plus.

I'd say 'watch them sub', but I don't like to discriminate... All of them have some terrific voice work (excluding macross' Robotech dub, which was only half awesome), and if you choose to avoid the english you'll miss some fantastic jokes. The same holds true, obviously, for the japanese tracks.
-Johnson
Bakuretsu Con 2006-2009 Vice-Chair
2010 Guest Relations
2011 Publications Staff

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby LantisEscudo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:12 pm

Magic Knight Rayearth - Probably my favorite series of all time, and an absolute classic. Sword & Sorcery fantasy + girls transported to alternate world. This is the series that started me on my CLAMP obsession. Watch in Japanese, the dub makes my ears bleed.

El-Hazard: The Magnificent World - The original OVA for this franchise is still the best member of it. Another "transported to alternate world" series, with one of the most memorable villains out there. Watch in either, it's an early Pioneer dub, before all the dubbing studios started focusing exclusively on lip flap.

Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars/BotS II/BotS III - Space opera on a grand scale. In the foreground, a romance between the Imperial Princess (essentially third in line for the throne) and a newly elevated member of the nobility. In the background, the most widespread interstellar war in mankind's history. Some of the best character development in a series I've ever seen. I wish more of the novels had gotten translated. Watch in Japanese, the dub is among the most uninspired plodding things I've encountered.

Special Duty Combat Unit Shinesman - A hysterical send-up of sentai shows. You have to see this parody to believe it. Watch in English, the jokes are even funnier.

Tenshi na Konamaiki (AKA Cheeky Angel) - A gender-bending comedy. As a 10-year-old boy, the main character encounters a genie and wishes to become the manliest of men. So the genie turns him into a girl and says it'll last ten years. Six years later, she's entering high school, and wacky hijinks ensue. Unlicensed, unfortunately, so Japanese-only, though the manga's available in the US.

The Story Teller

Postby Kirin Folken » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Ok new rule hug-me :)

You can't make comments in this thread until you have given us your 5 Anime list 8)

Postby zcat68 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:18 pm

You know, this is kind of hard to come up with, without repeating, but I'll give it a shot

1) Utawaerumono- It's probably the most visually appealing anime I've ever seen, and I also think it has one of the best stories too.

2) Princess Mononoke- I know that it is often reffered to as most people's least favorite Miyazaki movie, but honestly, I think it had the best message to deliver, and I think it was a nice break from most of the other ones

3) Rurouni Kenshin- Ignoring the fact of some of the historical liberities it takes (it has, it wouldn't be a great show otherwise) a very fun show, although it's probably best to start with Samurai X:Trust and Betryal before you dive into the show itself

4) Full Metal Alchemist- The show that probably have everything anyone could ever ask for in an anime, from the story, to the artwork, to the music, I really do think this show covers it all.

and last but certainly not least

5) Cowboy Bebop- Because clearly you can not have an anime to watch list with out at least one of the gold standards of anime.
"I thought clowns made everyone else laugh?" Kurama

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby WizeManBOB » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:36 pm

zcat68 wrote:5) Cowboy Bebop- Because clearly you can not have an anime to watch list with out at least one of the gold standards of anime.

This, of course, begs the question that made me exclude this series: Is there such a beast as an anime fan sans Bebop?

I have so much to say both in defense and assault of that statement that I'm torn by the very being of the question.

The dichotomy of this will haunt me, to be sure.
This is a post. You may think it is more than a post, but actually, it is just a post.

Postby zcat68 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:26 am

WizeManBOB wrote:
zcat68 wrote:5) Cowboy Bebop- Because clearly you can not have an anime to watch list with out at least one of the gold standards of anime.

This, of course, begs the question that made me exclude this series: Is there such a beast as an anime fan sans Bebop?

I have so much to say both in defense and assault of that statement that I'm torn by the very being of the question.

The dichotomy of this will haunt me, to be sure.

I actually did used to be one of those fans. I was into anime fandom about two years before I even watched Bebop, and it turned my fandom on its ear.
"I thought clowns made everyone else laugh?" Kurama

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby davenfonet » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:16 am

i was a anime fan before bebob came out (in the states )and it blew my mind... hard core. I just bought the best sessions dvd and its still fantastic, i just wish they'd color in spikes shoes...
The ToddFather
---------------------------------------
Co-Director of Programing - 2008
Director of Programing - 2009
Vice-Chair - 2010
Director of Programing - 2011
Director of Programing - 2012

The Story Teller

Postby Kirin Folken » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:38 pm

I like Cowboy Bebop... but have never understood the huge fandom that follows it. *shrug*

Just what is it, that makes Bebop a instant fan classic?

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby WizeManBOB » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:30 am

I think it has a little of everything in it: characters with complex, unexplained but somewhat eluded to histories; action, adventure, big guns/fast cars/good guys win mentality; comedy; romance; eye candy, sexy good guys, sexy bad guys; Sephiroth(cause let's face it, some people put Vicious and Sephiroth side by side); an engaging plot; moral dilemmas; creepy monsters; &c.

It doesn't emphasize anything much, so it doesn't stand out in most arenas, but it's everyone's second choice, so to speak. Like Abe Lincoln, everyone picks something as a favorite, then brings Bebop as that threshold of quality.

It's also both tame enough for mortals and strong enough for otaku. And that of itself is a selling point.

Next

Return to Anime Shows