So... who's already working on their AMV for '08?

Postby pettruchio » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:24 pm

Xorlia....I love your avatar. Lavi is my favorite character from D. Gray Man. I have been wanting to draw him but I can't seem to find a cool picture of him.

Luinta- hold your breathe....I found someone who likes Vista. She seems to not have any problems with it at all.....of course I think she is denial but thats just me.
"Here's another curse for you: May all your bacon burn." ~ Calcifer

Postby Xorlia » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:59 pm

Thanks much :'D It was actually really hard to find. Like you mentioned before, its difficult to find really good pictures of him. I'm actually anxious to get to drawing him too, but I have trouble remembering what his coat looks like. Gotta love those exorcist uniforms for having such intricate designs XD;;

But they look cool so I'm not complaining. Because I'm hoping that when I finish my Lavi cosplay, I'll look just as bad-arse as him. I made the first part of it tonight (simple five minute eyepatch XD) and I'm hoping to start the bandanna tomorrow if school gets snowed out.

I'm actually rather excited to make his scarf. I want to make it out of a nice orange fleece so I can wear it around with my normal clothes during the winter.~~
PortConMaine 2007: Larxene
BakuretsuCon 2007: Larxene and Atoli
PortConMaine 2008: Larxene, Atoli, Hitachiin Hikaru, Lavi

MOYASHI. >;D

Postby pettruchio » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Nice....when you have pictures of it I would love to see it.....btw have you found any decent D. Gray Man amvs around? I am rather picky and I really hate subtitled amvs so I try to stay away from those and I haven't seen any decent ones of d. gray man...

Postby Xorlia » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:02 pm

Okay, I'll be sure to post photos when I get a good amount of it done. You'll see me in it at Bakuretsu 08 too. <3

I actually haven't really looked around for any, but I can see if I can find anything without subs.

I'll be sure to notify you if I come across anything. I rather dislike subbed AMVs as well, so I know where you're coming from.
PortConMaine 2007: Larxene
BakuretsuCon 2007: Larxene and Atoli
PortConMaine 2008: Larxene, Atoli, Hitachiin Hikaru, Lavi

MOYASHI. >;D

Postby Luinta » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:53 pm

If you guys want a sketch, I do work on commission...

Well, I had to try. Anywho, I get what you mean about subbed AMV's. I'll keep an eye out too.
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

Postby ReiSnatcher » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:26 pm

Heh, I love my new laptop.

As to someone liking Vista, I'm not surprised. I mean, it's fine.... if you want to be simple. If you want to do anything remotely AWESOME, you need XP. Cause even MSPaint crashes in Vista.

Now that I've cleansed my laptop, it's awesome, and runs wicked fast. I'm almost done with one of my AMVs. It makes me happy.

Also, I was wondering what file types do you guys use to make your AMVs? Do you rip DVDs and convert the VOB fiels to AVI? Or download AVI?
Myself, I rip the VOBs from the DVDs and then use AVScript files so I don't have to convert the VOBs into a smaller (and lower quality) format! :)

Postby pettruchio » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:56 am

Ahhhh...a really great question which makes me want to ask a newbie question.

Reisnatcher-I rip my dvds into wmv or avi files then use premiere elements to make my amvs. Since I am extremely new at this (and virtually computer illiterate) I don't know much about the details. In all of my amvs that I have made I have noticed a pattern. Whenever there is slow footage that I am using, the footage jerks....would you happen to know why that happens? It is almost as if it is keeping time to the beat of the music which would be cool if it didn't look so well jerky....for lack of a better word (I told you I was a newbie). I tried using the amvapp that is in the guide on the org and I got so totally confused that I gave up. Finally some awesome guy on a forum told me to try Xilisoft to rip my dvds and that is what I use. I have found that if its any harder than click and drag i get lost. (Same reason I have no clue how to use WMM).

Luinta-I would totally have you draw me a picture since I know you do awesome work except I happen to love my own artwork as well....the problem with drawing Lavi is that except for screenshots there aren't a lot of pictures of him on the web that are decent.

Postby ReiSnatcher » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:41 am

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out how to get amvapp to work to, but I finaly got it. There might be a new version out now... I should check. I'm not sure if it would work with Premier Elements though. I know that the version of AMVapp and AVSynth doesnt' work with Premiere Pro 2, so I had to get a new version of AVSynth to get it to work.

Anyways, to your question. When you say Jerky, do you mean that it skips frames, goes forward some frames, and then back to frames before that, looking jerky like that? Because if that's the problem, the problem is that Premiere cant' handle the Codec well enough. I know it used to do this alot to me when I was using DivX or Xvid encoded AVI files to try and make AMVs.

If thats' not what you mean, since you said slow footage, do you mean that the footage is fine normaly, but when you slow/stretch the footage out on the timeline, the footage appears realy jerky, and not smooth. Like there are big leaps in between frames. If this is what you mean, that's because the frame rate of the video is 29.97 frames per second. Normaly, this wouldn't be a problem, however with most Anime, the frame rate is actualy 8 frames per second, meaning that there are 8 different cells drawn (asumming there is motion, since alot of anime is just stills) for each second, which is pretty slow. When you slow that down, it becomes quite jerky. If you ever get into actualy going in and editing the frames, for cut outs or paint ons, (as I am learning right now) you will notice this alot more. In this case, there isn't really much that you can do about it, although there are some programs which extrapolate new in-between frames from two other frames, and more frames = smoother. I'm not sure how well this would work with anime, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

If you want help getting AMVapp to work, I could try to walk you through it. It's a bit of a hassle if you don't know what you're doing, but once you get it up and running, it's bliss.

Postby pettruchio » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:07 am

I may get into AMVapp after the new year when things calm down a bit. I will definitely ask you for your help then.

As for the jerkiness, its rather hard to explain and easier just to show you but I don't have any amvs up that would show what I am talking about. REally it looks like the scenes are beating with the music. It probably is because I slowed them down a bit. I will have to go back and look. I'm at work right now so I can't access them, when i get off work this sunday I will put some up and send them to you so you can see what I mean. I asked a few other people about this but they haven't gotten back to me. Since I don't really know what I am doing its hard for me to explain the things that are wrong...heh makes sense. But thank you for the help. I wonder if I go back and speed those scenes up if that will make a difference.

Postby Vindel Desend » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:48 am

I have ideas for quite a few and am just now starting on one of them, a bleach AMV that was going to be a naruto one but i figured it out to be better useing bleach.
Cosplays:
2006 and earlier:None T-T
2007: Abari Renji
2008(plans): (now debaiting)Sasuke Uchiha, Let Altier(assassins creed) Virgil (Devil may cry)

Postby Xailyn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:29 am

:/

My computer any programs I have for AMVs...

Won't play raw episodes of ANYTHING. And it makes me want to punch babies...

Halp plz?
Bakuretsuecon 07: SakuBo, Zexion, and Teru Mikami...And a last minute Mello...

Because All Cons Need a little Mello

Postby ReiSnatcher » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:43 pm

What program are you using to edit your AMVs, and what fileformat are the raws? Also, is this soemthing new, or did it suddenly stop playing them?

It could be that you are missing the Codec that the Raws are encoded in.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby jreckers » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:29 pm

If it's a codec issue, I suggest trying videolan if you haven't. It plays pretty much everything under the sun.
Jeff Reckers
Bakuretsucon 2010 Director of Technical Support
Anime Boston 2011 Assistant Director of Technical Operations
Otakon 2010 Main Events House Management

Postby Xailyn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:03 pm

It has nothing to do with the codec. I've been using DivX because my AMV contest winning friend suggested it. She told me she's going to help me out with it, but I have to wait until later this month when I visit her.
Bakuretsuecon 07: SakuBo, Zexion, and Teru Mikami...And a last minute Mello...

Because All Cons Need a little Mello

Postby pettruchio » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:22 am

Till then try to refrain from punching babies.....that can be pretty messy.

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Archives