Meeting new faces

Can't find a place for your newest post? Then put it right here!

Meeting new faces

Postby jusdepomme » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:38 am

So as Baku is slowly arriving I'm begining to be a bit stressed about meeting new people. It will be one of the first con I'll alone. Usually, I'm going to cons with the same people and I'm a bit afraid that'll I'll be alone all weekend :? So I'm writing here to try and meet some people at the con :)

I'm from Montreal and I'll be cosplaying during the weekend

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Re: Meeting new faces

Postby davenfonet » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:49 am

Let me just say that, i've attended litterally dozens of cons over the past decade.

I've gone to Anime, Sci-fI, Fantasy, Ren-fares, and just fan meetups.

You will never ever find a more friendly con than baku. Really there is just a nice group of people that are here because they love anime and they love being around people that love anime.

Heck if you see me, (i'll be like a blur casue i'm staff) stop me and say hi!
The ToddFather
---------------------------------------
Co-Director of Programing - 2008
Director of Programing - 2009
Vice-Chair - 2010
Director of Programing - 2011
Director of Programing - 2012

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:11 pm

:D Don't be nervous! I attended the second year of Baku by myself as well (first year I didn't find out until the last day and my father took me for a few hours to check it out, make sure the people there were nice, seeing as I was in 8th grade I think? Have we been doing this for 8 years?) and I was very scared but sometimes the simplest things can make you feel more at ease- seeing someone with a shirt or button or cosplay from a series you like and telling that person you like it and maybe starting a conversation about that show with them, chatting with some of the artists alley about their work, attending some of the more attendee-to-attendee interaction panels like the Yankee Battle Auction, Dating Games, LARP, etc.

Also, like Todd said, we as staff members may be rushing around trying to make everything work as best as possible, but some are stationary like the prize table, registaration and video gaming for example, so don't hesitate to say hello! I'll be working at reg once I get there (boo for 3 hour drives, where are the teleporters already?) and in the lull between people having a new congoer to talk to would be lovely! :]
Stacey
Convention Sales Manager
Bakuretsu High Cheerleader

Postby Luinta » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:58 pm

Everyone that I've met at Baku were always nice ^_^ Heck, my very first time at Baku ('06) was joyus! ^_^ It was my first con ever actually, and I've never felt more comfortable than I did there. The Staff are great and really nice. Even when their running around like mad, they're still polite and friendly ^_^ The people are pretty good too. It's a small con, but it's a great crowd ^_^
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

The Story Teller

Postby Kirin Folken » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:48 am

Yes Baku has been running 8 years... its kinda scary.

PS - Im the Troll they leave in the basement, also known as Video Gaming. You can always find me thier... every year... all the time... 13 hours a day.... no food... no breaks....... :cry:
Bakuretsu Con Pre-Planning 2001
Bakuretsu Con Staff member 2001-2013 O_o
Bakuretsu Con Director of Gaming 2003 and 2004
Bakuretsu Con Vice-Chair 2004 and 2005
Bakuretsu Con Head of Video Gaming 2006-2011 ^_^
Bakuretsu Con Director of Publications 2011

Postby YenniChan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:32 am

@laban
stop whining...you got breaks when i was helping you :P....if your not getting breaks with jon and ikari helping ya thats your own fault XD

@minasan (everyone)
I was SHOCKED at how friendly everyone was at baku after having in the past only been to larger cons, but even now that i've been to a few other smaller conventions, its easy to see why i don't consider baku a convention, but more of an amazing family reunion that happens once a year.

Postby cotton » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:13 am

Don't be nervous. This is my first con, PERIOD. So I won't know ANYONE, nor have the experience of knowing how to navigate such a huge group of people... so...yeah... don't be scared... You've got experience on your side. I've got nada.

But I'm sure you'll make tons of friends before the weekend is over! :D
http://yorukami.deviantart.com

(This wasn't drawn by me, but damn if it isn't cute as heck)

Postby jusdepomme » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:00 am

awww! Thanks for your answers everyone! Can't wait to be there really! :)

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:42 pm

[quote="YenniChan" i don't consider baku a convention, but more of an amazing family reunion that happens once a year.[/quote]

Haha, that's how I think of it too! :]

And Laban, shush, we bring you food :P
Stacey
Convention Sales Manager
Bakuretsu High Cheerleader

The Story Teller

Postby Kirin Folken » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:35 pm

True true.. its gotten much much better now that its not just me in the basement LOL.

Oh the years of wondering were my lunch was. I use to bribe attendies to go get me a candy bar and a glass of water LOL

I like that Statment Yenni, Bakuretsu Con is definitely more like a great Family reunion :) Everyone knows everyone else and will always share a story and a laugh.

PS - Cotton that Sig is Fricken fantastic!!!
Bakuretsu Con Pre-Planning 2001
Bakuretsu Con Staff member 2001-2013 O_o
Bakuretsu Con Director of Gaming 2003 and 2004
Bakuretsu Con Vice-Chair 2004 and 2005
Bakuretsu Con Head of Video Gaming 2006-2011 ^_^
Bakuretsu Con Director of Publications 2011

Postby jusdepomme » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:59 pm

URGGG!!! I hate that! I won't be able to come since I just cought the H1N1 flu! grrr! I'm feeling so bad right now both because I'm ill and that I won't be able to come once again!!! T_T

Postby YenniChan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Hope you get well soon. don't worry there's always next year ^.^;

Return to Off Topic