Tabletop gaming

Containing all the old threads from 2007

Tabletop gaming

Postby MightyFrog » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi folks,

Val's asked me to run a few games of the dice, card, pencil and paper variety at Bakuretsucon. I've always had fun in the past, and hope to do so again this year! Thing is, I'm pretty out of touch with anime these days--I haven't watched any regular series in years. Can anyone suggest games that might particularly appeal to anime fans? I already have a special Munchkin game planned, but nothing beyond that.

Postby pettruchio » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:06 am

I don't know much about gaming....acutally I don't know anything about gaming. However I do know that Val posted under the video games section this post:

Actually, we do still have space for gaming... ironically enough it is in the lobby. The breakfast area will be our gaming area this year from 10 AM to some time in the evening (we haven't decided how late to run yet). Right now just some open gaming is planned and maybe an official Yu-Gi-Oh tournament.

someone was asking about Magic the Gathering. I do know there is a new Bleach card game (Bleach is still popular) but I don't know if it is any good.
"Here's another curse for you: May all your bacon burn." ~ Calcifer

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:12 pm

King's Blood has seen some success here and there once fans see how Japanese (and cute) the artwork is.

As far as SJG goes, I am sure Spank is one that all anime fans can identify with and I would be surprised if people didn't find it amusing.

Muchkin is always enjoyed by gamers and anime fans alike... not sure what else these days. I know anything SJG pretty much sells at the big anime cons. The Chez series seems to still be popular too.
Valerie Tatro
Former Bakuretsu Con Chair
2002-2011

Postby Trist » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:26 am

Call of Cthulhu. xD I played it at PortCon Maine over the summer, and... OMG. Wow fun.

Also, umm.. d20 Modern, BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth), the ever-popular Dungeons & Dragons, maybe even Serenity? ^_^ *helpful?*

ETA: Mutants and Masterminds is also really good, and has some powers that you'd find in an anime. :D

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby jreckers » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:15 am

Trist wrote:Also, umm.. d20 Modern, BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth), the ever-popular Dungeons & Dragons, maybe even Serenity? ^_^ *helpful?*

It is ...difficult to get a real RPG going with any group at a con... I've participated in the past in a few pickup D&D games & LARPs at cons... and man... X.x

Although, I guess it all depends on the style of game you like to play. I've known people to like "hack and slash through a dungeon in 2 hours" - that's just not my style of game :P
Jeff Reckers
Bakuretsucon 2010 Director of Technical Support
Anime Boston 2011 Assistant Director of Technical Operations
Otakon 2010 Main Events House Management

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:45 am

In light of an above post maybe Munchkin Cathulu would be a good choice. :)
Valerie Tatro
Former Bakuretsu Con Chair
2002-2011

Postby Trist » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:59 pm

Zsinj wrote:
Trist wrote:Also, umm.. d20 Modern, BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth), the ever-popular Dungeons & Dragons, maybe even Serenity? ^_^ *helpful?*

It is ...difficult to get a real RPG going with any group at a con... I've participated in the past in a few pickup D&D games & LARPs at cons... and man... X.x

Although, I guess it all depends on the style of game you like to play. I've known people to like "hack and slash through a dungeon in 2 hours" - that's just not my style of game :P

Yeah, that's true. xx; PCM has a big gamer population, so I guess that helps with setting them up.

Eww, hack and slash xP I mean, uh. :wink: I love story-based games. And LARPs. Fun stuff.

Return to 2007 Archives