Suggestions for 2008

What's on tap? Planning is already moving along.
Bakuretsu Con Staff

Suggestions for 2008

Postby Momiji-k » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:55 pm

What would you like to see (or not see) in 2008 at Bakuretsu Con? We are already making plans so we hope you will help us out and let us know what's important and not important to you.
Valerie Tatro
Former Bakuretsu Con Chair
2002-2011

Postby Luinta » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:42 pm

what if we took the idea of the AMV contest to a new level and added a mini fan-parody contest?

Rather than just doing music, people could re-dub scenes from anime, or several anime. Something like taking maybe 3-10 mins and make it like an Otaku's Funniest Home Fan-Dubs or something like that?

Most computers have a mic jack, and I know of a few different types of Speaker that become Mics of you plug them in wrong! I found that out with speakers i got from Books once. I plugged them into the Mic jack, for no real reason, and said, testing 1, 2, testing, and I heard it come out of the headphones!

Anywho, most computers now have built in mics.

Just a crazy idea from the terminally insane. Pay no attention to the light behind the curtain... who's definatly NOT Kira!
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:46 pm

That fan parody contest sounds pretty cool! I will bring it up and I am sure others will see your post and respond. Maybe NoN.D.E. Fanfilms could be involved in this since it is right up their alley.
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby Luinta » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:02 pm

Yeah! Like a second set of Judges! There could be a regular everyone-votes kinda of thing and then prizes for those chosen by the NoNDE judges!

I honestly got this idea from attending bits of every NoNDE panel, and being forced, by a Ninja, to watch my first AMV hell.
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

Postby Xailyn » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:55 pm

I know this sounds really weird idea, but I've always had this in mind.

Fandom Contests.

Meaning, competitions to see who can keep the character they cosplay, most in sync with the fandom. The only sketchy part about it, would be that there would need to be enough people informed of certain fandoms.
Bakuretsuecon 07: SakuBo, Zexion, and Teru Mikami...And a last minute Mello...

Because All Cons Need a little Mello

Postby Lord Hexion » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:56 pm

I know that last years didnt hit off so well as this year but the Dance would be killer again. Although I do believe holding it at a sooner and longer duration of time would be alot better due to alot of the members of the con were heading to bed or going home (for those peeps that lived near by) by than it was kinda hard. It took alittle time for people to warm into it too, so an hour wasnt to great. Also the music was really good but I found myself finding people all over that didn't know "HOW" to dance and such. I'd love to teach people how but personally myself would like it slowed down too (some slow song here and there for a couple slow dances :P) once and a while.

LARP was amazing too though I did not attend as long I continued to pop in and it was just generaly amazing. New People, New Thoughts, it was just good as ever.

Many of the panels were a success and some wern't so hot, but i've decided not to forlay that out so as not to hurt anyones feelings. (so i'll let staff handly that lol) but overall the con was just a huge amazing success

Postby pettruchio » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:14 pm

I thought the dance was two hours? I didn't stay so I don't know for sure. As for the dance we has some ideas in the process but since they are still in baby stages they will be introduced later.

I would really like to know what you guys want to see and what you think would be better in terms of scheduling for next year.

We had a problem with having TOO MANY awesome panels and workshops this year and we were trying to schedule them so attendees could attend as many as possible but unless you clone yourself its impossible to go to all of them....let us know what your ideas are for next year.
Last edited by pettruchio on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Here's another curse for you: May all your bacon burn." ~ Calcifer

Postby Hobo Dave » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:14 pm

I wish there could have been Karaoke at this year's con. I think I wrote it really big on my suggestion form, sorry bout that ;)

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:18 pm

Hobo Dave wrote:I wish there could have been Karaoke at this year's con. I think I wrote it really big on my suggestion form, sorry bout that ;)

On the feedback forms I saw there were a good handful that asked for karaoke, so we'll see for next year, I guess!
Stacey
Convention Sales Manager
Bakuretsu High Cheerleader

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby jreckers » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:49 pm

Hobo Dave wrote:I wish there could have been Karaoke at this year's con. I think I wrote it really big on my suggestion form, sorry bout that ;)

The reason we didn't have Karaoke in 2007 is because the guy who usually does it for us wasn't able to attend this year. We'll look into options for Karaoke in 2008.
Jeff Reckers
Bakuretsucon 2010 Director of Technical Support
Anime Boston 2011 Assistant Director of Technical Operations
Otakon 2010 Main Events House Management

Postby zcat68 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:57 pm

I've been thinking about it for a while, and I wonder if you might change how the judging for the Cosplay Contest works to shorten it time wise. I understand there will be pre-judging for the costumes themselves, but when it comes to the walk ons and skits, I think if you were to take an approach similar to how Slam Poetry Contests are scored, not exactly, but basically, they pick five people out of the auidence before the show starts, and after each performance they give scores of 0-10 (including one decimal place to break ties) The lowest and the highest scores are thrown out, and the three remaining scores are added together, highest total at the end wins, and the judges choices could be judged on the fly, and they could just double check that they don't have repeating choices (which shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes)

Just a really long thought.
"I thought clowns made everyone else laugh?" Kurama

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:07 am

I am seeing a lot of good ideas. Keep them pouring in.

What Jeff said about Karaoke is true, but we also thought it wouldn't be missed as much. Mike Ray (who ran it in the years past) said attendance of karaoke has dropped a lot and most times the room was empty.

As Jeff also said we will look into it for 2008.
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby Luinta » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:55 am

Karaoke WOULD be awesome! I could even help in the procurement of Karaoke tracks of various songs. Though I do have limited resources, I love helping out!

Postby Bob_the_Sniper » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:33 am

It would be great to see a "sparing" room, there was a lot going on in the halls and some of the tables were annoyed that we were in the way. It could be a special room where people can act out varios fights, of course this would be only semi-seriously and for fun. No hard hitting or grudge matches.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:37 am

I understand where this suggestion comes from but any sparring is best left outside. By moving back to our original intended dates we should be able to more outside as long as the weather stays mild.
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Next

Return to 2008 Planning