2007, Even more of a smashing success!!

2007 is over. What did you think of it?
Bakuretsu Con Staff

2007, Even more of a smashing success!!

Postby Momiji-k » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:40 pm

What more can I say? 2007 was just amazing!! It's funny that I know that considering I didn't really "see" any of the convention. But I get reports from staff and con goers all day every day and for the most part things went very smoothly.

There were a lot of great events this year and so much to do it must have been hard to make choices. I know when I got a chance to drop in on an event for a few minutes it was nice to see everyone having a good time.

Our biggest down side is that we need a few more people behind the scenes. But even so we got by just fine and everything was just great!

Thank you to our wonderful staff for their hard work and dedication (and lack of sleep) they are all just amazing and the convention could not happen without them!
Valerie Tatro
Former Bakuretsu Con Chair
2002-2011

Postby Lord Hexion » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:46 pm

Our biggest down side is that we need a few more people behind the scenes.

Man, I had alot of fun once again this year like many of the other years I have attended. Now that im getting to the age where I can consider myself old (lol for everyone over 18.) that maybe I would settle down and relax alittle (for all you couch peeps on floor 1 lol) But I think i'd be happy to help out behind the scenes as you put it, Just PM me sometime and we can work something out ^_^.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby jreckers » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:19 am

Lord Hexion wrote:
But I think i'd be happy to help out behind the scenes as you put it.

There will be, at some point in the next 49 weeks, information regarding staff applications / volunteer information etc. going up on the website. Just keep your eyes peeled and check back from time to time :)
Jeff Reckers
Bakuretsucon 2010 Director of Technical Support
Anime Boston 2011 Assistant Director of Technical Operations
Otakon 2010 Main Events House Management

Postby The Hag » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:34 am

First, a huge thank you to Val and Gary and the rest of the con staff. My whole family had so much fun!

A list of some the positives:

The hotel was great! Loved the free breakfast, loved the exercise room. Hotel staff was very friendly (chatted with me pre-masquerade), helpful (we had a plumbing emergency in our room!) and tolerant (no further comment necessary!)

The con staff was great! Stretched thin, but always polite. As a panelist, I especially appreciated having someone there to help me set up. I am capable of hooking up an LCD projector but it was nice to have one less thing to do.

I love the size. This was the most fun that I've ever had at a con and a lot of it was due to the coziness of a small con. Being able to meet people that I only know from on-line (and find them again!) was the best part. I know that it's hard to accommodate increased demand for dealer space, panels, artists alley, etc. with the desire to keep things low-key but I do hope that Baku does not become a victim of it's own success. I was really happy to hear that it will be in the same place next year - we will definitely be back!

The Comiku Girls were great! They know so much, are so funny and were charming and hospitable to me and my family.

Michael Terrachiano's How to Write Heroes and Villians panel got a big thumbs up from both my boy-type kid and my girl-type kid. And he gets a thank-you from me for telling young artists to put clothes on their female characters and not kill off their parents. ^_^

Really good vamping by the MC during the masq "intermission" - showing the AMV winners while the judges were out was a great move.

Jennifer Yoo is always a class act.

Chibi Project rocked!

too many more to list

The only negatives I can think of:

An anime that I wanted to watch was dubbed instead of subbed.

My name wasn't in the program for my panel. ;_; So I volunteer to help proof-read next year's program book! ^_^

Thanks again to all con staff for a totally fun time!
Last edited by The Hag on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:54 am

As for the dubbed anime that should have been an ADV Films title and was shown dubbed because it had Tiffany Grant in it. For anything else it should have been subbed. The policy is subbed on everything we show unless it is a parody fan dub (which of course doesn't have a choice) or something that is voiced by our guest. There might be a scant few that I would tell them to show dub just because they are very, very well done (like Cowboy Bebop). But even then.... I try to do sub.
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby The Hag » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:19 pm

Oh, I'd never thought of that! Yes - having the voice actor there is a good reason to show a dub. And it's a very minor complaint (and a personal preference really as I know that some people prefer dubs).

And I think that I probably posted initially in the wrong thread - that's what I get for being online after midnight! Maybe you can move it?

Thanks again for a great time! ^_^

Postby PatrickD » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:56 pm

The Hag wrote:Chibi Project rocked!

Thanks! :) We hope to have the new podcast episode up next week. (I'm busy working on the new web site for a certain Rhode Island conference this week.)
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com : http://animecons.com/
The Chibi Project : http://chibiproject.com/
Anime Unscripted : http://animeunscripted.com/

Postby Xorlia » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:33 pm

I have but one word to describe the con: DELICIOUS.

Gahhh theres no way I could describe my entire con experience in one post. XD It was just sooo awesome and I had an absolute blast. I also really liked the smaller size of this con compared to PortCon, it had a cozy feel to it, which was great. And I got reunited with every single one of my con friends, so it was like seeing family for the first time in months. XD <33

I do believe I'm coming next year. The hotel was a perfect choice (it certainly convinced my mom to drive us with the free breakfast and coffee included haha). It was small but I found it rather pleasant that way. The events I went to were also well organized, and I especially enjoyed the cosplay.

Wheee I'm so excited for 2008~!

@PatrickD: haha you were PictoChatting with my friend Jen at the Anime Dating Game. I watched the conversation and it was rather amusing. XD
PortConMaine 2007: Larxene
BakuretsuCon 2007: Larxene and Atoli
PortConMaine 2008: Larxene, Atoli, Hitachiin Hikaru, Lavi

MOYASHI. >;D

Postby PatrickD » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:06 pm

Xorlia wrote:@PatrickD: haha you were PictoChatting with my friend Jen at the Anime Dating Game. I watched the conversation and it was rather amusing. XD

Well, the DS wasn't in my hands the whole time...
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com : http://animecons.com/
The Chibi Project : http://chibiproject.com/
Anime Unscripted : http://animeunscripted.com/

Postby Xorlia » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:09 pm

PatrickD wrote:
Xorlia wrote:@PatrickD: haha you were PictoChatting with my friend Jen at the Anime Dating Game. I watched the conversation and it was rather amusing. XD

Well, the DS wasn't in my hands the whole time...
I know.XD I was sitting behind you guys and I saw it just kind of...going around haha
PortConMaine 2007: Larxene
BakuretsuCon 2007: Larxene and Atoli
PortConMaine 2008: Larxene, Atoli, Hitachiin Hikaru, Lavi

MOYASHI. >;D

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby WizeManBOB » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:08 pm

The only bad thing about the con in my opinion was that it had to end and we all had to go back to our (relatively) normal lives.
Other than that, it was fun to see people from all over just getting together for fun. Cons are like fairs, except you can't dunk the clowns and you can walk up to most anyone and just start a conversation--even if you don't know them--without getting the looks you get normally when you try that.
Thanks much to the staff for setting up such a great con! <3
This is a post. You may think it is more than a post, but actually, it is just a post.
Dana Bills; Baku cog of eclectic (read hectic) position.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:41 pm

WizeManBOB wrote:The only bad thing about the con in my opinion was that it had to end and we all had to go back to our (relatively) normal lives.

You ROCK!! Thanks so much for that kind of positive feedback (especially when it looked like you had a complaint! :P )

I really feel the same way too, that was the old bad part. Well it wasn't all bad, I finally got to eat real food and get some sleep. :shock:
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby WizeManBOB » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:02 pm

Con_Chair wrote:I really feel the same way too, that was the old bad part. Well it wasn't all bad, I finally got to eat real food and get some sleep.

Yeah, there is that. You were pretty much full-out there.
This is a post. You may think it is more than a post, but actually, it is just a post.
Dana Bills; Baku cog of eclectic (read hectic) position.

Postby pettruchio » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:28 pm

Thats why we have such an awesome con every year....she is always full out there. And she still hasn't stopped....she is even now planning on how much more awesome she can make the con for you guys next year!!!
"Here's another curse for you: May all your bacon burn." ~ Calcifer

Return to 2007 Thoughts