Favorite game soundtracks?

Looking for a soundtrack or song? Want to talk about anime or game music?
Have Bat will travel

Favorite game soundtracks?

Postby blcdude » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:37 am

I figured I'd give this forum some love. It got all of one post in 2010, so let's see if we can double or triple that amount for 2011! I'll start- game soundtracks. Some are great... others, not so much? Got any favorites?

One that stands out to me is 1998's Grim Fandango, which just has an awesome, smooth jazz soundtrack. Now, I'm not a giant fan of jazz, but I do enjoy the tunes of Grim Fandango, and it's one of the few games I actually own the soundtrack too.

Another one is Killer7, released on both the Gamecube and PS2. Has one of my favorite tracks in any video game ever in Rave On, a crazy, catchy techno track.

I'm also going to give a shout out to the song Philistine from No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle. It's the song that plays during the battle with Margaret Moonlight, and is just unbelievably amazing.

Re: Favorite game soundtracks?

Postby reaverofsouls05 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:48 pm

i have to say it just because i know nobody will but Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for the SNES, amazing soundtrack and also two more of my favorite games Super Mario RPG and Legend of Zelda:A Link to the Past also for the SNES had really good soundtracks

Have Bat will travel

Postby blcdude » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:29 pm

I was beginning to wonder if anyone would respond. Can't comment on Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (never played), but I own both Link to the Past and Super Mario RPG. As a general rule, if a game has Mario or Zelda in the title, it had a really good soundtrack.

Postby reaverofsouls05 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:01 pm

that does seem to be a constant with both of those series i guess, also i started playing Final Fantasy 1 again (till pokemon comes out, which is tomorrow) and it has a pretty decent soundtrack which i can't say is a constant for that series some of them are good and some of them are not any good at all it is really hit and miss

Have Bat will travel

Postby blcdude » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Which version of Final Fantasy 1? Are we talking the NES original, or one of the numerous re-releases/ports?

Postby reaverofsouls05 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:48 pm

psp version not that it really matters the music didn't change i don't think, i thought they only beefed everything up a little to make it look better and stuff to make it suitable for release on the psp

Have Bat will travel

Postby blcdude » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:31 am

Just curious, because I know with some remakes comes new or at updated soundtracks, such as Metriod to Metroid Zero Mission. Not the case with everything, of course.

Postby osurpless » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:29 am

My favorite video game scores are Final Fantasy VI and Super Mario RPG (probably 2nd)

Kingdom Hearts II and Xenogears are also consistently excellent.

I concur that Mystic Quest is very underrated, especially the music. I really enjoy the hard rock remixes on the official CD that Square released in Japan. I wish it would be reissued!
"Oh Please, Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God." Vagrant Story - Sydney Losstarot

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby davenfonet » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 am

Putting aside the obvious FF and such i'm a big fan of the OC Remix project. I find that most VG music I do listen to is from there. I just got the tales of remix collection fantastic.

I'm also a huge fan of the ar tonelcio sound tracks. I think that for a creepy J dating/rpg game it has really fantastic music.
The ToddFather
---------------------------------------
Co-Director of Programing - 2008
Director of Programing - 2009
Vice-Chair - 2010
Director of Programing - 2011
Director of Programing - 2012

Postby osurpless » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:59 am

OC Remix is indeed awesome, especially tracks like Blind's Temple Trance Remix from Zelda II and NoppZ's The Endless Search from Final Fantasy VI.

Their remix albums on FFIV and FFVII are definitely worth checking out as well. Lastly, they've been at PAX East for the past 2 years. Having meet Daniel Lloyd and others, they are a very cool bunch of people.
"Oh Please, Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God." Vagrant Story - Sydney Losstarot

Postby Laili » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:52 pm

I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy music (obviously...). My iPod has a good chunk of a library dedicated to it, and I usually buy one of the soundtracks when I have a iTunes giftcard or if I have a few dollars to spend. I did just recently bought the tickets to go see Distant Worlds and watch the orchestra perform to Final Fantasy music all night, and on top of that... Meet Nobou Uematsu at the Meet and Greet after the show! (I shall be posting pictures and videos!)

Another favorite: Shadow of the Colossus. It's calming and exciting to listen to, depending on the song.
BakuretsuCon's #1 Final Fantasy Fan. (2010-2011)
BakuretsuCon's #1 Final Fantasy Guru. (2012-present)

Postby osurpless » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:12 am

Laili wrote:I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy music (obviously...). My iPod has a good chunk of a library dedicated to it, and I usually buy one of the soundtracks when I have a iTunes giftcard or if I have a few dollars to spend. I did just recently bought the tickets to go see Distant Worlds and watch the orchestra perform to Final Fantasy music all night, and on top of that... Meet Nobou Uematsu at the Meet and Greet after the show! (I shall be posting pictures and videos!)

Another favorite: Shadow of the Colossus. It's calming and exciting to listen to, depending on the song.

Yea, being in NY, you probably went to the one in April. I was there both nights, and it was pretty darn great. Seeing the Opera from FFVI performed the 2nd night made up for many tracks that they just repeated from the first night.

Now, if we could only get a Kingdom Hearts concert...

Postby reaverofsouls05 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:23 am

osurpless wrote:
Yea, being in NY, you probably went to the one in April. I was there both nights, and it was pretty darn great. Seeing the Opera from FFVI performed the 2nd night made up for many tracks that they just repeated from the first night.

i went to that one i was there the second day sat a couple rows behind Nobuo (i missed it but i guess some people got pictures of him holding a replica someone made of Cloud's sword from Advent Children during the meet and greet) and the singers for the opera part actually were sitting in the audience for the first half of the show and i happened to be sitting right beside them also saw an amazing Edea cosplayer there but this is all off topic um back to what this topic is for, Shining Force as a series has some really awesome soundtracks as do the first 2 Star Ocean games

The Story Teller

Postby Kirin Folken » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 pm

One of my Favorite (as nameing a favorite is like chooseing a favorite star in the heavens).

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

One word discribes it..... EPIC
Bakuretsu Con Pre-Planning 2001
Bakuretsu Con Staff member 2001-2013 O_o
Bakuretsu Con Director of Gaming 2003 and 2004
Bakuretsu Con Vice-Chair 2004 and 2005
Bakuretsu Con Head of Video Gaming 2006-2011 ^_^
Bakuretsu Con Director of Publications 2011

Postby osurpless » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:37 am

Kirin Folken wrote:One of my Favorite (as nameing a favorite is like chooseing a favorite star in the heavens).

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

One word discribes it..... EPIC

I agree, it is probably the most diverse soundtrack in all of gaming. You have rock music in Young Nobleman of Sadness, peaceful music in Lost Painting, waltzes in Wood Carving Partita and so on. I don't think Michiru Yamane gets enough credit in the US, as Castlevania concerts are common in Japan and recently getting huge in Stockholm, Sweden.

Next

Return to Anime & Game Music