Fan Parodies You Would Like To See At Bakuretsucon

Screening Requests, and feedback

Fan Parodies You Would Like To See At Bakuretsucon

Postby Scott A Melzer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:27 am

I'm taking ideas for fan parodies that people would like to see at Bakuretsucon. If there is enough interest, we may put together some screenings at the con. I have a sizable library and am always expanding it, but it's tough to know what will go over well.

Please suggest stuff that you think would do well in a screening. I am looking for both longer projects as well as shorts. If you have something that you would like to be shown, please e-mail me personally! It would be great to get together some creators at Baku and present their work in a big showcase with a huge crowd.
-Scott A Melzer
Director, NoN.D.E. Fanfilms
Otakon 2011 "Fan Produced Videos" Department Head

Re: Fan Parodies You Would Like To See At Bakuretsucon

Postby ReiSnatcher » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:58 pm

My personal favorites (Besides This is Otakudom and STEAM, of course) are Evangelion: ReDeath Redux and Bad Scottish Dubbing.

Looking forward to the FanParody Panels!

Postby Scott A Melzer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Both of those are no problem.

Studio Sokodei has officially stopped recording. Unfortunately, Andrew has told me that he has no interest in working on another parody. He's moving on with his career and life, but doesn't mind us showing his films.

Nasake Nai (The Artists Formerly Known As GRAAC), the people who did "Bad Scottish Dubbing" are still recording. They also did "Fisting The North Star" (which I showed last year). This year, they have "Coming Soon" which is a 15 minute parody of fake movie trailers, and are working on "TSR", a parody of Dungeons & Dragons. I have a "work in progress" version which is very close to being done.

I also have all of the "Dragonball Z Abridged" episodes (not internet versions, but actual full quality ones), as well as plenty of older stuff.

Do people want to see the older parodies, such as the classic Pinesalad Dirty Pair (I just got remastered versions from Kurt Heidan of Pinesalad) and "Voltron: Hell Bent For Leather" from Seishun Shitemasu, or just the new stuff? I'm curious to know because the new stuff went over really well at Otakon and the classic stuff died. Perhaps it was because there were 1,500 people in the room and it was hard to hear, but is there still interest in the classic stuff? I've been tracking what we've shown and have been trying to rotate and keep a balance between new and old, but what do people want?
-Scott A Melzer

Postby ReiSnatcher » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:31 am

Sad to hear that Studio Sokodei has stopped recording. They did some great stuff. I especially loved that one commercial they contributed to STEAM. That gets me every time.

Conventions are generally the only chances I get to mingle with other anime fans, so I can't speak for the majority, but I personally would love to see some of the classic stuff. I keep hearing about Pinesalad and Hellbent for Leather, but I've never actually gotten a chance to see them. I'd also like to see Fisting the North Star again, and I'd love a chance to see "TSR", if possible.

There is also a more recent fan parody I love, though it's a bit different than most. It's made by ChazzTheSilencer, and he uses footage that he's created in various programs, and the art style changes violently each episode. It's called New Neon Menaces Evangelion. There are currently 3 episodes out. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby predaking » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:31 am

I would love to see Pinesalad Dirty Pair.

Postby Scott A Melzer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:58 am

Great news on Pinesalad's Dirty Pair. I have brand new digital remasters and have sent them to Val at Bakuretsucon. Hopefully we'll have the time to get at least one shown. They're looking for stuff to show on Thursday and may show some fan parodies then as well. I'll pass along that you're interested in these!
-Scott A Melzer

Return to Video Screenings