BakuDocu 06: The Bakuretsucon Documentary Project

Anything That has to do with the Baku-Documentary. If you have questions or want to help, this is the place.

BakuDocu 06: The Bakuretsucon Documentary Project

Postby dokool » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:06 pm

BakuDocu 2006 - The Bakuretsucon Documentary Project

Background
Way back when (a few months ago), there was discussion over doing a large-scale video project at Bakuretsucon. After much discussion, debate, argument, etc, a documentary was chosen as the way to go.

This project, while technically independent, is being undertaken with the blessing and moral support (and hopefully behind-the-scenes access) of Bakuretsucon 2006.

What It Will Entail
This documentary will cover the <i>entirety</i> of the convention - from set-up on Thursday to break-down on Sunday, and everything inbetween. Ideally cameras will follow staff, attendees, guests, and even the documentary-people themselves as they enjoy all of the events that will be taking place that weekend, both planned and improvised.

Ultimately we'll be able to schedule things a little better once schedules start to go online.

What We Need - Technical Stuff
-Cameras - MiniDV, 1CCD or 3CCD, shooting in 30i NTSC because it'll be impossible to get enough 24p cameras (as awesome as that'd be)

-Camera mics (kind of a push, but usually anything is better than the onboard mic)

-Tripods (a couple in the panel rooms and Main Events, maybe one more roaming)

-Batteries (I assume if you can provide the camera, you can provide the batteries)

-63m MiniDV Tapes, preferrably to brands that match the cameras (I have a decent supply if need be. Val - is there any way Bakucon could pick up the tab a little? I know a cheap site if need be)

Who We Need
In general, we just need anyone who's willing to spend a couple days doing cool video stuff - everyone who works on the project will get credit and hopefully we'll either be able to do a DVD or somehow distribute the project online.

Ideally, we'll have enough people so that if you want to attend an event (or if you're like me and running 2-3 panels), you'll be able to.

In particular, we need the following:

-Cameramen (Obviously people who want to bring cameras will get first shot at this, unless they're comfortable w/ handing off their camera to other people). Requirements: steady hand and a good eye for framing.

-Interviewers/Production Assistants (People who can not only ask random attendees/guests/staff questions, but who can also help the cameramen by labelling tapes, holding onto blanks logging footage, keep the cameramen from bumping into attendees by accident, etc). Requirements: Friendly personality, legible handwriting, desire to help the cameramen survive the convention. PAs would help roving cameramen and maybe take over camera duties as needed.

-Coordinators (people who oversee everything, particularly making sure that events are being covered and that no disasters are taking place). Requirements: Well-organized, able to deal w/ high-pressure situations.

-Editors (I'm not quite sure about this yet - if filming this is gonna be a group effort, then so should editing, but more on this in the future)

Anyway, if you're interested in either providing equipment or being a part of BakuDocu, reply to this thread with what you'd like to do. As we get closer to the convention there will surely be more planning in the works, and hopefully everything will be a success!

In the meantime, to promote BakuDocu, use the posters below and link to this thread.

Image Image

Stay tuned for more info!
Last edited by dokool on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:24 pm

If I put it on a wall, will the eyes follow me? XD

Postby dokool » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:42 pm

XxShugoTenshixX wrote:If I put it on a wall, will the eyes follow me? XD

I'm totally tempted to get prints made and giving them to people who help out :D

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:44 pm

Those are great! :)
Valerie Tatro
Former Bakuretsu Con Chair
2002-2011

Postby dokool » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:53 pm

Con_Chair wrote:Those are great! :)

Any money in the Baku printing budget to get them done as posters? I'll totally chip in :)

I'm also always looking for suggestions for new versions to do - as long as I can get a clean (in terms of background) image with an appropriate pose, it can be done.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby LantisEscudo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:57 pm

This looks interesting. I think I'd want in on it. When will you have more info?

And just to contribute a poster (not as good as dokool's):

Postby dokool » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:15 pm

LantisEscudo wrote:This looks interesting. I think I'd want in on it. When will you have more info?

I have a long detailed document written up - I just need to distill it into something I can post for recruitment purposes.

EDIT: First post updated

Also, if you wanna send me the original of the pic you used, I can spruce it up a bit :wink: Same goes for anyone else who can submit a good-quality source pic.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:38 pm

I'll see what I can do about a budget for the documentary.
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby axiom » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:10 pm

Time permitted I don't mind doing interviews and stuff.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby LantisEscudo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:31 pm

Assuming I can borrow them from work (likely), I can bring a 24p/30i camera (Panasonic AG-DVX100A), tripod, and possibly several different microphones, though tapes I'm short on.

I can act as a cameraman and possibly an editor.

Also, I'll send on the image probably tonight (it's a 23.3 meg JPEG).

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:29 pm

We can supply tapes, no problem. We just need to know what kind. :)
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby dokool » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:12 pm

Con_Chair wrote:We can supply tapes, no problem. We just need to know what kind. :)

The ones in the link I emailed you (Sony MiniDVs) are fine, I just don't know how many we'll need. Plenty of time to figure that out, though.

The Story Teller

Postby Kirin Folken » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:43 pm

Ill just say this in advance.... try interviewing me and you will get alot more then that camera up your.. *censor*

Just advanced warning :evil:

<----------will be in Video Gaming most of the Weekend.
Bakuretsu Con Pre-Planning 2001
Bakuretsu Con Staff member 2001-2013 O_o
Bakuretsu Con Director of Gaming 2003 and 2004
Bakuretsu Con Vice-Chair 2004 and 2005
Bakuretsu Con Head of Video Gaming 2006-2011 ^_^
Bakuretsu Con Director of Publications 2011

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby Momiji-k » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:46 pm

Ahem...

You could have just said you were camera shy.... :oops:
Valerie Tatro
2002-2011

Postby dokool » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:25 pm

Kirin Folken wrote:Ill just say this in advance.... try interviewing me and you will get alot more then that camera up your.. *censor*

Just advanced warning :evil:

<----------will be in Video Gaming most of the Weekend.

w00t, we need at least one combative interviewee or it wouldn't be fun :lol:

*makes note to wait until the disgruntled congoer is close to AAing a 10-footer before asking a question*

Next

Return to Documentary