The Best Anime You've Never Seen

Announcements and details about panels and workshops.
Please start a new topic when making a suggestion.

The Best Anime You've Never Seen

Postby Scott A Melzer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:22 am

I'm looking for some ideas for a panel that I'm running.

I want it to be really diverse, so I'm opening the research to everyone.

The theme is older anime shows that are truly excellent, but people may have forgotten about and the new generation have probably never heard of. I'm looking to put together a list of truly great shows from the 80's, 90's, and even 00's that excel in story, character, music, and animation. Not personal favorites, but shows that were important at the time and inspired what followed. I'd appreciate any ideas!

Thank you.
-Scott A Melzer
Director, NoN.D.E. Fanfilms
Otakon 2011 "Fan Produced Videos" Department Head

Re: The Best Anime You've Never Seen

Postby osurpless » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:57 am

Scott A Melzer wrote:I'm looking for some ideas for a panel that I'm running.

I want it to be really diverse, so I'm opening the research to everyone.

The theme is older anime shows that are truly excellent, but people may have forgotten about and the new generation have probably never heard of. I'm looking to put together a list of truly great shows from the 80's, 90's, and even 00's that excel in story, character, music, and animation. Not personal favorites, but shows that were important at the time and inspired what followed. I'd appreciate any ideas!

Thank you.

Berserk is the best anime I've ever seen. Awesome characters, story, action, music. It's the total package. The funny thing is that one of the first major series I saw was Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I thought it was good, but very overrated.

The thing with Berserk is that some of the animation can be weak and I understand its audience are mostly males, but I still think it is one of the best ever created. The first episode is actually set in the future and then the subsequent ones flashback to the earlier history of the characters, so it is really tragic to see how the characters ended up where they did.
"Oh Please, Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God." Vagrant Story - Sydney Losstarot

Postby ReiSnatcher » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Neon Genesis Evangelion. (Overrated? Pshaw.)
Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try
Ranma 1/2
Lupin III

It saddens me that most of the newer anime fans have never heard of these, even though some of their remakes and sequels are readily available in Best Buy.

Postby Scott A Melzer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Excellent ideas. Thank you! Keep them coming.

I also agree that Neon Genesis Evangelion is not overrated. That's an extremely hard thing to say since it's a juggernaut of exposure. How can anything live up to the hype that it's got? But I think it does. What I've found is if people found it on their own when it was new (and knew Gainax's history and previous films) tend to really like it, but if people heard the hype and checked it out it didn't fare well. *shrug* I remember every month when a new tape came into the shop people went nuts trying to get ahold of it and avoid anyone spoiling the plot. It was definitely a huge influence and very important for the time, but I think most people have heard of it so I'm not sure I want to include it in the program.

Slayers, Ranma 1/2, and Lupin III are definitely great ideas, especially if we include the Miyazaki Lupin. Which I've got right here on DVD...
-Scott A Melzer
Director, NoN.D.E. Fanfilms
Otakon 2011 "Fan Produced Videos" Department Head

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby predaking » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:39 am

Here are a few ideas:

Doraemon

Dirty Pair

I know it is still around but people do not remember the anime associated with Hello Kitty

Tetsujin 28-go

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby LantisEscudo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am

I'll toss out a couple:

Patlabor - Early, realistic mechs.
Magic Knight Rayearth - Swords & Sorcery meets mechs, with CLAMP's standard twists on formulas.
Dragon Half - Pure hysteria in OVA form.
Nadesico - Part romance, part space opera, part shonen mech drama, part self-parody. I'm amazed at how quickly its popularity fell off over here compared to Japan.

And a pair that never got licensed:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Space opera on a massive, epic scale.
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - The anti-action series. Slow, scenic, and charming.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby davenfonet » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:04 am

Princess 9 - Sports anime at its finest (with girls!?), a girls baseball team fights for the right to be accepted as equals on the baseball dimond. Think A League of their own with school girls.
Wild Striker - a 52 ep Soccer Anime by the creator of Captin Tsubasa but with a more condensed storyline, follows a struggling high school soccer club over like 3 years.
The Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarock - Chibi norse gods... an intresting NA licence by ADV but never really achived popularity, awesome opening and ending
Jin Roh - The Wolf Brigade - THE movie that proved to me that anime could be about more than ninjas and gunfights.
Zeta Gundam - Has not really achived any measure of popularity over here (but recently got a non $250 release) as its prettier cousins like Wing, seed, and 00 have trumped it in the minds of fans (plus they were on TV). The empire strikes back of the gundam franchise, dark, true to life and awesome.
The ToddFather
---------------------------------------
Co-Director of Programing - 2008
Director of Programing - 2009
Vice-Chair - 2010
Director of Programing - 2011
Director of Programing - 2012

Postby XxShugoTenshixX » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Weiss Kreuz- Assassins who run a flower shop and kill people who are morally bad-- how can you go wrong? To me, it broke away from what was going on at the time- mecha, school girls, magic animals, etc-- and gave me something completely different. I don't think it started a trend or anything but it's one of the animes I always go back to. It's a good balance of light hearted jokes and silly romantic side plots with a dark serious side as well that progresses as the show goes along.

Bubble Gum Crisis Tokyo 2040- I never watched the original BC but I loved Tokyo 2040-- it showed that big mechas weren't the only kind that existed, that girls could pilot them, and that your team mates didn't always have to be your best friends (or atleast, that's what I remember, haha)

Saint Tail- my all time favorite manga and anime series. It never got popular in the US that I'm aware of. It mixes the right amount of magical girl elements, but wasn't magical in the fantasy way-- she's a magicians daught who plays almost a Robin Hood type, she steals back stolen items of regular people (who confess their woes to her nun-in-training friend, which is how she gets her 'jobs') so she's a thief who leads the police to the real criminal.

Card Captors/ Card Captor Sakura- I never got to see this the whole way through, but it was on Kids WB when I was growing up and for me it set my expectations for the entire Magical Girl genre. It was different than Sailor Moon and was my first CLAMP experience.

Love Hina- The first show I watched that I realized was a harem-type anime, lol.

Tenchi Muyo- The show I thought had a really crazy concept but didn't realize at the time was a harem-type anime, haha. I'm sure there were harems before, but for me, Tenchi's will always be my first.

Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star--- I'd never seen anything like them. Bounty hunters in space was such an interesting concept to me and while both of them can be summed up as 'a bounty hunter travels outerspace and works' they're both radically different and just both so strikingly good, in my opinion.

Vandread and Candidate for Goddess-- Both teens seeking to become mech pilots, but different from Gundam Wing that was popular at the time because of how they were both under very strongly organized government/military/sciencey (can you tell I haven't seen them in years?) operations and they had cute girls/side kicks to fix their mechs.

I never watched much of Fushigi Yugi or Ceres, but I feel like they used to be 'classics' and talked about much more often, but they've since fallen off the face of the planet.
Stacey
Convention Sales Manager
Bakuretsu High Cheerleader

Postby ReiSnatcher » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Marmalade Boy is another one I just thought of.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby predaking » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:25 am

Speaking of Outlaw Star you also need to include its spin-off series Angel Links.

Postby ReiSnatcher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:33 am

Vampire Hunter D is a good one too.

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby jreckers » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm not a huge expert on historically influential anime, but I would suggest exploring Tezuka's other works, especially Hi No Tori (Phoenix.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(manga)
Jeff Reckers
Bakuretsucon 2010 Director of Technical Support
Anime Boston 2011 Assistant Director of Technical Operations
Otakon 2010 Main Events House Management

Postby Luinta » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:54 am

Yu Yu Hakusho (as a bonus, the dub was one of the better ones)
Outlaw Star
Gundam Wing
Wolf's Rain

I'd have to look up some other good ones, but those come to mind first ^_^ Oh! The Vision of Escaflowne! ^_^
If I said that I never feared the Darkness, but indeed welcomed it, would you still love me...

Bakuretsu Con Staff

Postby MissEmmeline » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Rose of Versailles - soooo shoujou I just ate it right up XD. And does Trigun count as an older anime that people may have forgotten? It was the first I ever watched and is still phenomenal

The Story Teller

Postby Kirin Folken » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Escaflowne
Bubbblegum Crisis 2032/2033
Robot Carnival
Ninja Scroll
Kimergire (sp?) Orange Road
Bakuretsu Con Pre-Planning 2001
Bakuretsu Con Staff member 2001-2013 O_o
Bakuretsu Con Director of Gaming 2003 and 2004
Bakuretsu Con Vice-Chair 2004 and 2005