NY Comic-con And NY Anime Featival To be one!!!

This a place you can talk about conventions in general. There are several in the New England area now.
Toothpaste Boy

NY Comic-con And NY Anime Featival To be one!!!

Postby Thelonemiroku » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:42 am

so did anyone other than me see the big news? Apparently next october 8-10th Ny anime festival will ber combineing with the NY comicon to make one mega convention. they have stated that each convention will have its own seprate schedual and guest list and events but my question was .... what if the cosplayers got in a big arument and had a fist fight it would answer all of us questions we have been asking for yrs.

WHO WOULD WIN?
GOKU or SUPERMAN?
Sailor Moon or Wonderwoman?

Well anyway i just thought this was an event of epic proportions just wanted to let you guys here know ^^
The OTAKU DJ ......DJ D20!!!!
Good comments about dance: 7
Bad comments about dance:0

Re: NY Comic-con And NY Anime Featival To be one!!!

Postby Ang » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:59 pm

I don't think this is a good idea. The company that runs the conventions isn't that bright though, so it's not surprising. How do they expect to keep congoers from one show going from the other? Are they planning on attempting to profit from a "double badge" or save money by combining them both?

I go to NY Comic Con every year as an industry professional, would I be given the same thumbs up to walk across the hall to the Anime Festival?

If Comic Con can fill up hotels within 5mi of the Javitz with 60,000 people, what's another 60,000 going to do? Granted it's New York City and it can technically take it, but I think it's a poor move and a recipe for disaster. That's my 2 cents.

Toothpaste Boy

Postby Thelonemiroku » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:38 pm

they have said it will be one badge for both cons
anime festival brings in only 40k while comic con brings in 60k so about 100k.....wow never seen so many nerds in my life lol
The OTAKU DJ ......DJ D20!!!!
Good comments about dance: 7
Bad comments about dance:0

Postby PatrickD » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Thelonemiroku wrote:they have said it will be one badge for both cons
anime festival brings in only 40k while comic con brings in 60k so about 100k.....wow never seen so many nerds in my life lol

NYAF doesn't get 40k. They claim something like 18k, but those numbers are grossly inflated. The con has more like 10k.

For all intents and purposes, NYAF is dead and just being rolled into the NYCC heading now.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com : http://animecons.com/
The Chibi Project : http://chibiproject.com/
Anime Unscripted : http://animeunscripted.com/

Postby Ang » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Yeah, it was absolutely ran like garbage, and this sounds like a cry for help from the host company to try to save the event. I definitely thought it was more than 10k though. They probably can't afford the loss compared to the crowds that NYCC brings in.

I wonder if they're going to combine the artist alley then, because then anime artists won't have a chance when the big artists with the big bucks take over really fast.

Much like BAAF was canned a few years ago, I guess NYC just isn't cut out for an anime con. Which in my opinion is no big loss, it's not like there's a shortage of them or anything, plus AnimeNEXT is across the river.

Postby Delicious Orange » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:26 am

It begs the question though, with both cons continuing to have their same setups, just sharing dates and venues:

Should artists apply to NYCC or NYAF? Most of the NYCC Artist Alley seats are all taken by the old boy's club, but the Small Press section isn't all that hard for up and coming artists to get into. The NYAF alley will look a lot less appealing than the NYCC alley though, which may end up hurting the people who stick with the NYAF alley.

I guess the real question will become whether it's easier or cheaper to apply to the NYCC small press section or NYAF's alley. NYAF's alley is quite ridiculously expensive by anime-con standards, it nearly matches the table fee of SDCC and NYCC, both events that are orders of magnitude larger than NYAF. I guess the NYAF staff consider alley booths to be similar to dealer booths, but for some reason I don't quite think that analogy matches with the reality of the two sections. Also it could be a case of supply and demand, with many artists wanting to get into the NYAF alley and not enough space to house them all.

Either way, I'm sure time will tell. This should be interesting to see.

Postby Ang » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:42 pm

I feel what they want anime artists to pay is a ripoff, but if you were a publish comic artist, then it's fair. There's a big price point difference in what comic and anime fans will pay. I speak from personal experience.

I can't plan on breaking even at $175 a table for NYAF, but for NYCC, I know I'll profit.

I'll be sitting back with some popcorn and watching the hilarity ensue, that's for sure.

Postby PatrickD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:46 pm

Ang wrote:Yeah, it was absolutely ran like garbage, and this sounds like a cry for help from the host company to try to save the event. I definitely thought it was more than 10k though.

It's probably just a little over 10k. Maybe in the 11k or 12k range.

In 2007, they claimed something like 14k, but heads of Otakon, AnimeNext, and I were estimating 8k or so. They were also handing out badges like candy. Each dealer got 10 badges for each 10x10 booth space no matter if he needed that many or not. So when you consider that there were several hundred booth spaces, that accounts for a lot of the artificial attendance increase right there. Also, I had a friend who forgot his industry badge the second day and was given another just for asking. No ID or list checked or anything...so I have to wonder how much monkeybusiness was going on there.

So, yeah... They don't count "turnstile" (counting 3 day attendees 3 times) like many non-anime cons do, but their numbers are still highly fudged. When they artificially inflate their attendance like that and then come out calling themselves the third largest anime con, it really irks me. Maybe Bakuretsu Con should give its dealers each 10,000 badges and then declare itself the largest.

I wouldn't be surprised if they inflate their numbers past Otakon's this year. I can't imagine Otakon would be happy with that...and I'd have to wonder how NYAF would explain having a convention with less square footage that was no more crowded than Otakon.
-PatrickD

Postby Ang » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:17 pm

I ran into a similar situation at NYCC this year when I went to pick up my industry badge. You know, a fancier one that lets me in way earlier than everyone else and gives me access to rooms that not everyone does because I'm more important for some reason, and they didn't ask for an ID or any creds when I gave my name. I even asked to pick up a friend's since he was running late and they just gave it to me without any fuss.

That makes me worry that anyone could go up to the industry/VIP line, say my name, get my badge, get into the special 501st Legion room and possibly take something from our very expensive costumes. Not cool.

Postby PatrickD » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:47 am

It was the same for me in 2007 when I picked up my press pass. They just handed it over and didn't look at any list or check my name off of any list.
-PatrickD

Postby YenniChan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:06 pm

That worrys me....i'm going as a vendor this year to NYAF....

is anyone else actually going to NYAF?

Postby Delicious Orange » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:03 pm

I'll be in the Artist Alley, though this is my first time and given the costs, if this convention isn't incredibly awesome I'll be very unlikely to get an alley table from them again next year.

Postby Ang » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:45 pm

I have yet to go to NYAF, but my fellow artists who have before have complained about doing very poorly. :(

Postby Delicious Orange » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:50 am

Well we'll see, it's obvious from their practices that they don't really care much for their Art Alley. They essentially charge the same rates for and Alley tables as they do the same space in the dealer's room, which is fair, but still a bit ridiculous considering the nature of the alley.

Return to Other Conventions